Creative Writing Skills
You love words and you love stories: you’re a writer. But getting started – literally getting words onto the page – is often the part writers dread the most. Their imagination is stunted before it even has a chance to bud.
This course is about overcoming the blank page. It’s about switching on the lights in your mind and getting a draft written. It’s about finding and simply running with an idea – and enjoying every single moment. It concentrates on techniques for invoking inspiration, stimulating creative juices, fine-tuning your existing skills, and breaking through writing blocks that are fatal for a writer’s mind.
The course is not here to teach you the basics of English grammar, nor is it here to make you a bestselling author – courses that aim to do so can be found aplenty elsewhere. You don’t even need to be good at the basics! Anyone can benefit from this course if they simply love writing.
- Developed by professionals
- Accredited by CPD
- Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
- Full audio voiceover
- Approximate Duration: 5-6 hours
- On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Who Should Take This Course?
This course is suitable for anyone who loves writing and is eager to jump-start their inspiration. Beginner and veteran writers alike, no matter what their age, will benefit from this course. It's not about teaching the rules of grammar or how to write a bestselling novel; it's about getting the gears in your mind turning and rekindling an enthusiasm for the art of writing.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working
day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming
to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
Screenshots (click to view)
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
Interactive Demo »
The course is divided into 8 accessible, interactive modules and includes an assessment at the end, designed to give you a friendly reminder of all the techniques and exercises discussed throughout the course:
Download Course Overview (PDF) »
- Welcome to Creative Writing – what are the course's aims?, what will the course focus on?, and how to use this course.
- Running With Writing Prompts Part 1: What’s the Situation? – what is a writing prompt?, what's the situation?, example writing prompt, running with writing prompts, brainstorming/finding writing prompts.
- Running With Writing Prompts Part 2: Pick a Word; Any Word – pick a word; any word, brainstorming/finding random words, and example writing prompt.
- Running With Writing Prompts Part 3: He Said, She Said – he said; she said, brainstorming/finding dialogue, and example writing prompt.
- This Is My Story – this is my story and do you see what I see?
- The Music of Language – the music of language, rhythmic sentences, complementary words, assorted sentences, and fragmented sentences.
- The Description See-Saw – the description see-saw, characters on catwalks, and too much salt spoils the flavour.
- Constrained Writing Sets You Free – what is constrained writing?, types of constrained writing, flash fiction, flash fiction: brainstorming ideas, word selection, word selection: brainstorming ideas, 5,4,3,2,1, 5,4,3,2,1: brainstorming ideas, no turning back, and talk through me.
Aims of the Course
By the end of this course learners will:
- Feel inspired and have rekindled their love for writing.
- Have explored a number of techniques and sources for generating ideas – including writing prompts, rewriting from new perspectives, and constrained writing.
- Have taken a number of practical exercises that encourage them to write and help them flex their writing muscles.
- Have explored various topics – including the construction of sentences, characters, descriptions, and other fundamentals – that will help improve their existing storytelling and writing skills.
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will
be asked 8 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 50%. The
answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have passed.
If you don't pass don't worry! You can take the test as many times as you need with
no extra charge.
Other Courses You May be Interested In
An online course designed to help learners understand their health and safety responsibilities under the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998. The course looks at how to carry out a risk assessment and which control measures should be adopted to reduce the likelihood of injury whilst operating work equipment.
Learn More »
This Slips, Trips and Falls course is designed to help businesses comply with health and safety law, carry out a risk assessment and ensure appropriate measures are in place in order to control the risks from slip, trip and fall hazards.
Learn More »