Parental Mental Health Online Training Course
This online Parental Mental Health and its Impact on Children’s Lives course is designed to raise awareness of the effects
parental mental illness can have on children and families, both in the present and on their future development.
Parental mental health is something that can have a substantial impact on a child’s life, so having a concise knowledge
of the subject is essential in order to work towards safeguarding children.
This course aims to explain mental health, the impacts it can have and what to do with any safeguarding concerns you may
Developed by a qualified child protection professional
Accredited by CPD
Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
Full audio voiceover
Approximate duration: 2-3 hours
On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Who Should Take This Parental Mental Health and its Impact on Children’s Lives Course?
This course is suitable for anyone who works with children and/or families and has safeguarding responsibilities. It is
appropriate for workers at all levels.
Before taking this course, you may find it useful to take our Introduction to Safeguarding Children training course to develop
a full knowledge of the subject and terminology used.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working
day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming
to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
Screenshots (click to view)
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
Interactive Demo »
The course is divided into five accessible, interactive modules and includes an assessment
at the end:
- Introduction – an introduction to the concept of mental illness and some key facts on the subject.
- Understanding Mental Health and its Impact – defining mental illness, types of mental illness, what causes mental
illness, recognising issues, understanding why people don’t seek help and understanding the impact mental illness may have
on parenting capacity.
- Recognising the Impact of Mental Health Issues on Children – how children perceive mental illness, the impact mental
illness has on children, children’s reactions, the long term impact and the risks associated with parental mental health.
- Best Practice in Responding to Concerns – safeguarding responsibilities, the child and the family’s needs, the risk
to children, best practice in responding to concerns and how to talk to children and families.
- Further Resources – further reading and websites that will aid your knowledge on parental mental health issues and
Download Course Overview (PDF) »
Aims of the Parental Mental Health and its Impact on Children Course
This course will help learners to:
- Consider how common mental health is in today's society and explored some key facts.
- Understand what is meant by the term ‘mental illness’ and how it might occur.
- Understand the impact it may have on a person and their ability to parent a child.
- Consider the implications for children living with a mentally ill parent.
- Understand when parental mental health becomes an issue for concern.
- Have an awareness of best practice in responding to those concerns.
- Know where to access further information and resources.
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will
be asked 10 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 80%. The
answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have passed.
If you don't pass don't worry! You can take the test as many times as you need with
no extra charge.
Other Courses You May be Interested In
An online course designed to help professionals who work with children understand the best way in which to respond to poor behaviour, instigate change, manage difficult behaviour and promote positive behaviour amongst children in schools, nurseries, clubs and other childcare settings.
Learn More »
An online course designed to help learners understand more about autism so they can identify the condition amongst children, understand more about the diagnosis process and know what adaptations can be made to help an autistic child to manage their condition.
Learn More »