Supporting Speech & Language Development In Early Years
100% online training
Start when you like
Learn on any device (desktop, mobile or tablet)
Instant assessment and result
Train teams of all sizes
Bulk discounts starting at 10% off 10 courses
Learn on any device (desktop, mobile or tablet)
Free Management Suite (10+ courses)
Includes a 10% discount for 10+ courses
Speech and language development is critical and impacts on many other areas of a child's life, including their ability to learn, express their needs, thoughts, and wishes, make friends, read and write, and behave well. However, research has shown that, in some areas, more than 50% of children entering Reception have language levels below what is expected for their age. As someone who works in the early years sector, it is your responsibility to set children up with the best possible outcomes - by being aware of the most effective ways to support children's speech and language development, you could help to change these statistics.
This course will explain what typical development in this area looks like, giving you insight into the complex processes involved in learning to talk - and why it can go wrong. It will discuss support strategies approved by speech and language therapists and early years professionals, and the expectations of the Early Years Foundation Stage framework. It will also go into detail about speech, language, and communication needs - including what causes them, warning signs, and how to help children who you know or suspect might have them - and discuss how best to work with speech and language therapists and parents or carers.
- Developed by early years and speech and language professionals
- Accredited by CPD
- Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
- Full audio voiceover
- Accompanying course workbook and a range of downloadable, interactive resources (including a typical development chart, support plan, posters to put up in your setting, and an information leaflet for parents and carers)
- Approximate duration: 3 hours
- Earn 3 CPD points on completion
- Same day digital certificate. Printed certificate posted the next working day
Aims of the course
By the end of this course, you will:
- Understand the importance of speech, language, and communication for children’s overall development and later lives.
- Understand what the terms speech, language, and communication mean.
- Know the basic developmental milestones within speech, language, and communication development.
- Know the EYFS expectations in this area and be able to meet them.
- Understand how to support speech, language, and communication development using a variety of techniques, including having a communication-friendly environment.
- Understand how children with EAL's development may differ, and how to support and monitor their progress.
- Know and recognise warning signs of the different types of speech, language, and communication needs (SLCN) that children might face.
- Know how to implement targeted support for different types of SLCN, and create a support plan to monitor progress.
- Understand how and when to make referrals to speech and language therapy.
- Know how to work effectively with parents and carers to maximise the support children are given and flag concerns.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming to universally accepted Continuing Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
Screenshots (click to view)
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
|1||Understanding Speech, Language, and Communication|| |
The impact of speech, language, and communication, what are speech, language, and communication, the communication chain, typical development, EAL development, and the EYFS framework.
|2||Supporting Speech, Language, and Communication Development|| |
Talking together, attention, listening, and auditory memory, adapting your language to the child, modelling language, communication-friendly environments, and working with parents and carers.
|3||Speech, Language, and Communication Needs (SLCN)|| |
What are SLCN, risk factors of SLCN, warning signs of SLCN, and responding to concerns.
|4||Targeted SLCN Support Strategies|| |
The graduated approach, support strategies, referring SLCN, working with parents and carers, and example scenarios.
Download Course Overview (PDF)
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will be asked 20 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 80%. The answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have passed. If you don't pass, don't worry! You can take the test as many times as you need with no extra charge.
Who should take this course?
This course is recommended for all those working in the early years sector, including:
- Early Years Workers.
- Early Years Practitioners.
- Early Years Educators.
- Early Years Teachers.
- Senior practitioners and managers.
- Reception teachers and teaching assistants.
- Playgroup workers.
- Toddler group workers.
- Crèche workers.
How do our courses work?
Purchase and payment
Add your chosen course to your basket. Once you’ve added all the courses you need, follow our step-by-step checkout process where you can purchase using Debit or Credit card.
For companies ordering 5 or more courses, you’ll also be given the option to pay by invoice.
Once you’ve completed your purchase, look out for an email containing the details you’ll need to start your training.
If you’ve purchased a single course, we’ll send you a unique course code. You can use this to add your training to an existing account, or create a brand new one.
Purchased multiple courses for training your team? We’ll email you all the login details you need to distribute to your staff.
If your delivery address is in the UK, we will send a hard copy of your certificate to your UK postal address once you’ve completed your course. Although we try to deliver your certificates as soon as possible, please allow 3-4 working days for delivery.
Don’t want to wait? You can instantly download your digital certificate as a PDF after course completion.
Additionally, please note that if your company is paying by invoice we can only issue certificates after your order has been fully paid.
Our friendly customer support team is happy to help at any stage of your training. Call us on 0333 006 7000 or contact firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll do our best to answer any questions you may have.
Additionally, have you seen our help page? It’s full of useful information to help guide you through your training experience.