Internet Safety for Schools
Everyone who works in education is responsible for safeguarding students and ensuring their safety, both on and off the school premises and online. The internet is a vital way of staying connected in the modern world, for both adults and children alike. With this growing connectivity, however, comes a growing number of risks, which you must know how to prevent.
This Internet Safety for Schools course provides you with all you need to know to keep students safe online. You will be able to identify when a child is at risk, explain the different safeguarding and cyber security risks, know how to respond to online safeguarding concerns, and teach online safety to your students.
- Written and developed by safeguarding specialists
- Accredited by CPD
- Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
- Full audio voiceover
- Approximate duration: 2-3 hours
- On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Who Should Take This Course?
This course is suitable for anybody who works in an educational setting, whether it's primary or secondary. This includes:
- Teaching assistants.
- Governors and governing bodies.
- School administration staff.
- School support staff.
- Supply teachers.
- Additional school staff, such as sports coaches.
The course explains how you can teach internet safety to students and includes downloadable KS2 and KS3 lesson plans and posters that you can use in your school.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
This certificate does not have an expiry date. However, based on industry best practice guidelines, the recommended renewal period for this training is 2 years. We will print this recommended renewal date on your certificate.
Screenshots (click to view)
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
Interactive Demo »
This course contains six detailed, accessible, and interactive modules and includes an assessment at the end. These are:
Download Course Overview (PDF) »
- Introduction - the importance of online safety, the prevalence of internet use, the positives and negatives of internet use, the importance of internet use in schools, what children use the internet for, social media platforms, and e-safety policies.
- Safeguarding Risks - grooming, sexting, cyberbullying, and radicalisation.
- Cyber Security Risks - defining cyber security, phishing, scams, malware, viruses, worms, trojans, ransomware, and accessing and posting private information.
- Identifying Children at Risk - children at risk, identifying children at risk, case study, and responding to incidents.
- Staying Safe Online - discussing sites together, protecting personal information, protecting themselves, staying safe while gaming, and staying safe on social media.
- Addressing Cyber Safety - teaching cyber safety to KS2, KS2 lesson plan, teaching cyber safety to KS3, KS3 lesson plan, discussing cyber safety with parents, responding to parental concerns, and further resources.
Aims of the Course
Upon completion of the course, you will:
- Understand the importance of internet safety and the dangers that being online can pose.
- Understand the impact that poor internet safety can have on a child or young person and the most common threats children can face online.
- Be able to communicate the risks of poor internet safety with children and young people.
- Be equipped to provide children and young people with tips for staying safe on a range of platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat.
- Know how to identify a child who is at risk of grooming, radicalisation, cyberbullying, phishing, and other dangers.
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will
be asked 20 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 85%. The
answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have passed.
If you don't pass don't worry! You can take the test as many times as you need with
no extra charge.