Data Protection Act Online Training Course
This online data protection course is designed to help businesses and individuals comply with the essential principles of the current Data Protection Act 1998 and the upcoming General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
The course explains what is expected of people who handle personal data, including information on how to keep data secure, what to do if data is lost and how to handle subject access requests. The course also includes a module about the new EU GDPR legislation that will replace the Data Protection Act as of May 25th, 2018, and explains what is required by businesses under the new regulations.
Developed by a qualified finance professional
Accredited by CPD
Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
Full audio voiceover
Approximate duration: 2 hours
On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Who should take this online Data Protection training course?
This course is suitable for anyone who handles personal information, either through
manual or computer-held records. The Data Protection Act applies to any business
or individual that uses or holds personal data and there can be severe penalties
if the legislation is not adhered to.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming
to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
Screenshots (click to view)
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
Interactive Demo »
The course is divided into five accessible, interactive modules and includes an assessment at the end:
- Introduction – the background of data protection, key definitions and exemptions
from the Data Protection Act.
- The Eight Principles of Data Protection – an explanation of each of the eight
principles of the Data Protection Act.
- Data Security and Subject Rights – the importance of data security, real life
cases, what is expected of businesses, how to deal with lost data and subject access
requests and data subjects’ rights.
- Sharing Data and Penalties – registering with the ICO, sharing data securely,
transferring data within and outside of the EEA, marketing communications, potential penalties
and the ICO’s involvement.
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) – key changes, application, Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations, your responsibilities, privacy by design and default, pseudonymisation, consent, individuals' rights and enforcing the regulations.
Download Course Overview
Aims of the Data Protection course
By the end of this course learners will:
- Understand the background and purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998.
- Understand what the 8 principles of data protection are and understand how they
relate to the workplace.
- Know what is expected of businesses in respect to data security, including the penalties
for those who break the law.
- Know what rights data subjects have under the Data Protection Act.
- Understand more about the forthcoming changes to data protection legislation.
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will
be asked 20 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 75%. The
answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have passed.
If you don't pass don't worry! You can take the test as many times as you need with
no extra charge.
Other Courses You May be Interested In
This Advanced Safeguarding Adults course aims to provide those with safeguarding responsibilities with a better understanding of the principles of the Care Act, how to take a person-centered approach to safeguarding, and how to identify and respond to any issues or concerns that arise amongst the adults in need that they work with.
Learn More »
This Level 2 Health and Safety in the Workplace course aims to help learners understand their responsibilities in regards to health and safety law so that they can efficiently identify hazards, follow appropriate control measures and keep themselves and others in the workplace safe from harm.
Learn More »