COVID-19 Essentials: Infection Prevention & COSHH Training For Cleaning
Discounts for bulk purchases:
10% discount on 10+ courses
20% discount on 50+ courses
Thorough and effective cleaning of workplaces is important even in the best of times. However, due to the pandemic, it is even more important to ensure that this is the case so that risks from the coronavirus (COVID-19) are prevented and controlled. If you are responsible for carrying out cleaning activities, you must understand how to correctly clean the work environment and equipment to stop the spread of viruses, bacteria and other infections.
This course explains how COVID-19 is transmitted and what you can do to help prevent it from spreading. It also covers the duty that employers have and what they must cover in their workplace risk assessment to manage COVID-19 risk, as well as the responsibility you have to comply with this. You will also learn about the health risks associated with hazardous substances at work, such as cleaning fluids, and the legal duties employers have to comply with the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) Regulations 2002.
- Developed in line with Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy, NHS and Public Health England guidance together with health and safety professionals
- Accredited by CPD and Assured by RoSPA
- Online training course and assessment with no time limits
- Approximate duration: 3-4 hours
- High-quality certificate posted next working day
- Downloadable certificate on completion
- Full audio voiceover
Who should take this course?
This COVID-19 Essentials: Infection Prevention and COSHH Training for Cleaning course is suitable for people and businesses who carry out or oversee any cleaning activities in workplaces, excluding healthcare settings. While the course is mainly designed for cleaners of workplaces, it's also suitable for those who carry out domestic cleaning.
Examples include cleaners of the following types of businesses:
- Retail premises
This course is suitable for staff of all levels, including employees, supervisors and managers.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming to universally accepted Continuing Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
This certificate does not have an expiry date. However, based on industry best practice guidelines, the recommended renewal period for this training is 1 year. We will print this recommended renewal date on your certificate.
Screenshots (click to view)
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
|1||Introduction to Infection Prevention and Control|| |
Why is infection prevention and control important?, what is COVID-19?, how is COVID-19 transmitted?, the chain of infection, legislation, The COSHH Regulations, RIDDOR, government guidance for COVID-19, employer risk assessment duties for COVID-19, and employee responsibilities for COVID-19.
|2||COVID-19 Risk Management|| |
Risk assessments, managing COVID-19 risks, arriving at and leaving work, ventilation, reducing contact for workers, reducing risk for customers, visitors and contractors, work-related travel, equality and diversity in the workplace, protecting vulnerable workers, self-isolation requirements, NHS Test and Trace, emergencies during COVID-19 and first aid during COVID-19.
|3||Effective Cleaning for Infection Prevention and Control|| |
Cleaning schedules, cleaning products, the six stages of cleaning, what should be cleaned and how often?, additional cleaning considerations, waste removal, cleaning after a suspected COVID-19 case, handling waste after a suspected COVID-19 case, and clean-up kit.
|4||Effective Personal Hygiene and PPE Use|| |
What is personal hygiene?, the importance of personal hygiene, respiratory hygiene, hand hygiene, when should hands be washed?, what is PPE and why is it important?, what PPE do cleaners need to wear?, steps to take before putting on PPE, how to correctly use gloves, how to correctly use aprons, how to correctly use face masks, how to correctly use face coverings, how to correctly use eye protection, how to safely dispose of PPE, and COVID-19 and workplaces.
|5||Health Risks from Hazardous Substances at Work|| |
What is a hazardous substance?, legal requirements, what are the COSHH Regulations?, COSHH Approved Code of Practice (ACoP), why is COSHH important?, who has duties under COSHH?, routes of entry, and ill-health impacts.
|6||Identifying Hazardous Substances Used in Cleaning|| |
Chemical labelling, CLP hazard symbols, and safety data sheets.
|7||COSHH Control Measures|| |
COSHH and risk assessments, preventing risks, selecting control measures, engineering controls, safe systems of work, storage, transport, and handling, workplace exposure limits (WELs), health surveillance, personal protective equipment (PPE), respiratory protective equipment (RPE), and emergency procedures.
Download Course Overview (PDF)
Aims of the course
Upon completion of this training, you will:
- Understand how infections can spread, including COVID-19, and how to prevent this from happening.
- Know what the risk assessment process involves and requires of employers.
- Understand how to follow COVID-19 control measures and government requirements, including self-isolation.
- Know how to carry out effective and safe cleaning and handle waste during COVID-19, as well as after a suspected or confirmed case.
- Recognise the importance of good personal hygiene and respiratory hygiene, as well as how to carry out handwashing correctly.
- Know when you may need to wear PPE and how to put it on and take it off correctly.
- Understand the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) Regulations and what they require duty holders to do.
- Know what hazardous substances are and how they affect health and safety and cause ill-health impacts.
- Know how to identify products that are hazardous substances and what their labelling and safety data sheets should cover.
- Understand the safety measures that your employer will put in place to control hazardous substances and how to follow them.
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will be asked 30 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 90%. The answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have passed. If you don't pass don't worry! You can take the test as many times as you need with no extra charge.
Other courses you may be interested in
Manual Handling Awareness
An online course designed to provide learners with an understanding of safe manual handling practices and how they can reduce the associated risks.
Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH)
This COSHH training course gives employers and workers the information they need in order to comply with regulations in the workplace. It explains how to provide adequate control of employees’ exposure to harmful substances through methods of prevention and monitoring, details the control measures needed and advises on how to minimise risks.