Moving and Handling of People in Residential Care
If you work in a health and social care setting then it’s likely that you spend a significant amount of your time moving and handling residents, patients and service users. Whether you’re using specialist equipment, such as hoists and EPBs, or simply assisting a person to move into and out of a wheelchair, it’s essential that you understand how to carry out the task safely and correctly.
This Moving and Handling People course will provide you with an introduction to safe manual handling practices so that you know how to carry out an individual risk assessment, use equipment safely, reduce the likelihood of developing musculoskeletal disorders and always keep your service users’ comfort and safety at the forefront.
- Ensures compliance with UK Health and Safety legislation
- Developed by Health & Safety Professionals
- CPD Accredited Course
- Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
- Full audio voiceover
- Approximate duration: 1-2 hours
- High Quality Certificate posted the next working day
Who Should Take This Course?
This course is suitable for anyone who works in a health and social care setting, such as a residential home, nursing home, hospice, day centre, primary care centre, community hospital or disability service.
The course is written as an introduction to moving and handling people so no prerequisite knowledge is required. The training is appropriate for workers of all levels, including managers, supervisors, full-time and part-time staff and volunteers.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working
day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming
to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
This certificate does not have an expiry date. However, based on industry best practice guidelines, the recommended renewal period for this training is 2 years. We will print this recommended renewal date on your certificate.
Screenshots (click to view)
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
Interactive Demo »
The course is divided into 4 accessible, interactive modules and includes an
assessment at the end:
Download Course Overview (PDF) »
- Introduction to Moving, Handling and the Law – why training is important, moving and handling activities, potential injuries, legislation and employer and employee responsibilities.
- Risk Assessment – generic assessments, individual assessments, identifying the hazards, deciding who may be harmed, personalising the risk assessment, controlling the risks and recording and reviewing the assessment.
- Using Equipment Safely – PUWER and LOLER, staff competency, types of equipment, hoist safety, sling safety, EPB safety, wheelchair safety and walking aid safety.
- Best Practice for Moving and Handling – preparing to move someone, TILEO, good handling techniques, poor handling techniques and assisting people without equipment.
Aims of the Course
By the end of this course learners will:
- Be aware of the types of injuries that people may suffer as a result of poor moving and handling practices.
- Know what the law says about moving and handling people and equipment.
- Understand how to carry out a risk assessment and personalise the assessment for individuals.
- Have knowledge of how to use different types of moving and handling equipment safely.
- Understand good manual handling techniques.
- Know the steps to follow when preparing to move a person to ensure the move is safe and comfortable for the person involved.
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will
be asked 20 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 80%. The
answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have passed.
If you don't pass don't worry! You can take the test as many times as you need with
no extra charge.
Other Courses You May be Interested In
This course teaches learners about their safeguarding responsibilities and how to protect vulnerable adults. It explains how to spot abuse and the full procedure to deal with it, so that all adults can be kept safe from harm.
Learn More »
All food handlers in the catering sector can satisfy their legal requirement by taking this e-learning course. The course gives learners a basic awareness of good hygiene and safety issues and meets food industry recommendations, with reference to employees preparing, cooking and handling food in catering settings.
Learn More »