Pest Control Course
Pest infestation is one of the most common reasons for prosecution under food hygiene law. This Pest Control training course is designed to help those who work in food manufacturing premises understand how to reduce the risks that pests pose to public health and food safety.
The course explains how to identify common pest species, including insects, rodents, animals and birds, and outlines how staff can take action to prevent pests from becoming a problem. By the end of the training, learners will understand their legal responsibilities and how to follow appropriate pest control measures.
- Developed by food safety professionals
- Accredited by CPD
- Endorsed by the Institute of Hospitality
- Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
- Full audio voiceover
- Approximate duration: 2 hours
- On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Who Should Take This Course?
This Pest Control course is suitable for anyone who works in a food manufacturing premises. This includes management, supervisors, full-time and part-time employees.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working
day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming
to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
Additionally, this course is endorsed by the Institute of Hospitality as providing independently-evaluated, quality content that teaches good practice standards.
This certificate does not have an expiry date. However, based on industry best practice guidelines, the recommended renewal period for this training is 3 years. We will print this recommended renewal date on your certificate.
Screenshots (click to view)
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
Interactive Demo »
The course is divided into 5 accessible, interactive modules and includes an assessment at the end:
Download Course Overview (PDF) »
- Introduction to Pest Control – what is a pest, what impact can pests have on a business, BRC Standards, the Pests Act 1954, the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, and food industry legislation.
- Your Responsibilities in Pest Control – avoid, block, detect, respond and recover, good housekeeping, what to do if you see a pest, and the do’s and don’ts of pest control.
- Insects and Mites – types of mites, identifying mite infestations, how to control mite infestations, types of insects, insect metamorphosis, stored product insects, identifying insect infestations, how to control insect infestations, cockroaches, identifying cockroach infestations, how to control cockroach infestations, and food hygiene.
- Rodents – types of rodents, access, identifying rodent infestations, how to control rodent infestations, what to do if you identify rodents, and food hygiene.
- Animals and Birds – types of animal pests, identifying animal pests, how to control animal pests, types of bird pests, Canada geese, identifying bird pests, how to control bird pests, methods for preventing bird infestations, and food hygiene.
Aims of the Training
By the end of this course learners will:
- Understand what a pest is, what the most common pests are, and why pest control is vital to ensuring good hygiene standards.
- Be aware of the consequences of a pest infestation, as well as what signs to look out for.
- Know the legal requirements around controlling pests.
- Understand why a pest control programme should be implemented and what control actions can be used to reduce the risk of an infestation.
Once you have completed all of the online training material you will be able to
take the online assessment. The assessment consists of 20 multiple
choice questions with a pass mark of 90%. The answers are marked instantly
so you will know whether you have passed as soon as you finish.
If you don’t pass the assessment you can review the course material and take the
assessment again as many times as necessary at no extra charge.