Autism Awareness Training Course
Autism is a lifelong condition that affects around 1 in 100 people in the UK. Autism affects how someone communicates, relates to others, and makes sense of the world around them. Being autistic makes everyday life challenging – especially for a child.
This Autism Awareness training course will help you understand more about Autism Spectrum Disorders. Upon completion, you’ll have learnt how to identify the signs of autism; you’ll understand what happens during the diagnosis procedure, and you’ll know how to help an autistic child manage distressing behaviour. The online course also includes a range of practical tips and ideas to help you support an autistic child at home and in an educational setting.
Developed by professionals
Accredited by CPD
Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
Full audio voiceover
Approximate duration: 4 hours
On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Who Should Take This Course?
This course is suitable for anyone whose job role requires them to work with autistic children, whether it’s on a full-time, part-time or voluntary basis. This includes teachers, tutors, nursery workers, carers, and activity leaders.
It’s also suitable for parents, guardians, and family members of autistic children. This course will provide a greater understanding of autism and how to help an autistic child. It’s written at an introductory level, and no previous knowledge is needed.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working
day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming
to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
Screenshots (click to view)
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
Interactive Demo »
The course is divided into eight interactive modules and it includes an assessment at the end.
- What is Autism? – This module will introduce learners to Autism Spectrum Disorders, the triad of impairments, common myths and misconceptions about autism, a range of statistics, and it will provide information on autism-friendly terms.
- What Causes Autism? – Looks at a series of causes including genetic, environmental, psychological, neurological, and health factors, that researchers have studied to learn more about what may cause autism. This module also looks at autism in relation to gender and age.
- Autistic Behaviours – Examines autistic behaviours such as social communication, social interaction, social imagination, sensory sensitivity, routines, Theory of Mind, learning difficulties, challenging behaviour, and strengths.
- Real Life Stories – Explores a series of real-life stories from parents, siblings, autistic people, and teachers showing what it’s like to know (and be) an autistic child.
- Diagnosing Autism – Focuses on why a diagnosis is helpful. You'll learn about the first steps, screening for autism, referrals, the diagnostic assessment, and what to do if you disagree with the decision.
- Managing Autism – In this module, you'll look at a series of strategies that are used to help autistic children. These include intensive interaction, methods of communication, ABA therapy, managing change, diet, autism-friendly places, and the SENCO.
- Ways to Help Autistic Children Part 1 – You'll discover a variety of ways to help an autistic child, this will help find a technique that is right for you. This module also focuses on communication, anxiety, play, and visual supports.
- Ways to Help Autistic Children Part 2 – Looks at relationships, promoting positive behaviour, homework help, routines, and further resources.
Download Course Overview
Aims of the Course
At the end of this course learners will:
- Understand what autism is and how it affects children and their everyday lives.
- Understand the factors thought to contribute towards autism.
- Understand which behaviours are typical of autistic children so that you can identify the condition and provide the appropriate support.
- Know what happens in the autism diagnosis process.
- Have an awareness of some of the intervention methods that can be used to help an autistic child manage their condition.
- Learn about simple changes you can make at home or school to help an autistic child manage their condition and improve their day-to-day life.
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will
be asked 15 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 80%. The
answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have passed.
If you don't pass don't worry! You can take the test as many times as you need with
no extra charge.
Other Courses You May be Interested In
An online course designed to provide those who care for or are involved in the education of children with an awareness about dyslexia. Upon completion, they will have a strong understanding of how dyslexia impacts on children's ability to learn and on their day-to-day life, and what action they should take so dyslexic children receive the support they need.
Learn More »
This advanced safeguarding children course is designed to help managers develop the best practice through effective management skills and understanding of roles within the child protection system.
Learn More »