Child Neglect Training
Child neglect is the most common form of child abuse, yet it’s a topic that many professionals have little knowledge of.
This Child Neglect training course aims to provide learners with an understanding of what neglect is, why it happens, and what effect is has on a child’s life. The course raises awareness of why neglect is considered a form of child abuse, and helps professionals to recognise the impact that it can have on children, recognise common warning signs, and respond appropriately to any concerns about child abuse and neglect.
Developed by a qualified child protection professional
Accredited by CPD
Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
Full audio voiceover
Approximate duration: 1-2 hours
On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Who Should Take This Course?
This Child Neglect course is suitable for all professionals who work with or have contact with children and young people. Learning how to safeguard children is essential for everyone, and particularly for those who work with children on a regular basis. This course is written at an introductory level and is suitable for workers of all levels, including part-time staff and volunteers.
If you have not taken any training in child protection before, then it's recommended that you also take an Introduction to Safeguarding Children course alongside this one.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working
day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming
to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
Screenshots (click to view)
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
Interactive Demo »
The course is divided into four accessible, interactive modules and includes an assessment at the end.
- What is Child Neglect? – types of neglect, the effects of neglect, case example Khyra Ishaq, and which children are at risk.
- Recognising the Impact of Neglect – recognising neglect, case examples, understanding why neglect happens, the impact of neglect on brain development, relationships and physical and mental health, and other types of abuse.
- Indicators of Neglect – warning signs of neglect, physical, behavioural and developmental indicators, parental behaviour, the child’s environment, considering the indicators and case example.
- Responding to Concerns About Neglect – when should neglect become a concern, when does neglect become a child protection issue, case example, responding to your concerns, early help, further resources and best practice.
Download Course Overview (PDF) »
Aims of the Course
By the end of this course, learners will:
- Understand what child neglect is, the effects it has on children, and which children are most at risk from neglect.
- Understand why neglect is considered a form of child abuse.
- Recognise the short and long-term impact that neglect has on children.
- Be able to recognise the common warning signs that indicate child neglect is taking place.
- Understand how to respond appropriately to concerns about neglect.
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will
be asked 10 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 80%. The
answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have passed.
If you don't pass don't worry! You can take the test as many times as you need with
no extra charge.