Introduction to Safeguarding Children Training Course (formerly referred to as Level 1 Safeguarding)
Child protection training is important for everyone no matter your occupation nor how frequently you work with children and/or their families.
This Introduction to Safeguarding Children course is a positive first step towards increasing and improving your knowledge and will provide you with a thorough overview of how to recognise the warning signs of abuse, what to do with any concerns that you may have and how to feel confident in protecting children from harm.
The course uses a variety of written text, interactive exercises and real-life cases to help you understand more about your responsibilities.
- Developed by a qualified child protection professional
- Accredited by CPD
- Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
- Full audio voiceover
- Approximate duration: 2 hours
- On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Who Should Take This Course?
Safeguarding children is a responsibility of all professions and so this training course is suitable for anybody required to take training as part of their role. It is a requirement for all those working with children and/or their families to have knowledge of how to safeguard children and by taking this training course you will fulfil that obligation.
This course is written at an introductory level and so no previous knowledge is required. The course is also suitable for workers of all levels, including managers, supervisors, full-time staff, part-time staff and volunteers.
Examples of people who may wish to take this training include:
- Teachers, nursery workers, carers and child-minders.
- Doctors, nurses, paramedics and health workers.
- Social workers, council staff and immigration workers.
- Youth workers, activity leaders and volunteers.
- Sports coaches and teachers.
- Police staff.
- Church leaders, religious leaders and volunteers.
Looking for higher level training? We also provide Advanced Safeguarding Children and Designated Safeguarding Officer Training.
If you work in Early Years, Schools or FE, our Safeguarding Children in Education Training may be more suitable for your needs.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working
day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming
to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
Screenshots (click to view)
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
Interactive Demo »
The course is divided into five accessible, interactive modules and includes an assessment at the end:
Course Overview (PDF) »
- Introduction – what is safeguarding and why is it important? Victoria Climbié, your responsibilities and how safeguarding is relevant to your role.
- Recognising the Signs of Abuse – statistics, how child abuse is defined, categories of child abuse, physical abuse, emotional abuse, sexual abuse, neglect, vulnerable children, recognising the signs and indicators of abuse.
- Responding to a Disclosure – how a concern may come to your attention, disclosures from a child and how to respond, how not to respond, why children don’t disclose information, why adults don’t take action and next steps.
- Reporting Your Concerns – your responsibilities, how to report an incident and who to report to, what to do if a report isn’t taken seriously, what to do if the concerns are about a professional, when to report a concern, what to report, talking to the child’s parents and what happens next.
- Recording Information – when to record your concerns, what to record and record keeping tips.
Aims of the Course
By the end of this course you will:
- Understand what is meant by 'safeguarding' and why learning about safeguarding children is so important.
- Understand your responsibilities both within and outside of the workplace.
- Know more about how to identify the indicators and warning signs of abuse.
- Know how to respond to any concerns that you have about a child.
- Be aware of how to act should a child disclose information about abuse to you.
- Understand the importance of reporting your concerns to another professional plus have knowledge of what happens at a higher level when a report is made.
- Be aware of the need to accurately record your concerns in writing.
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will
be asked 15 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 80%. The
answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have passed.
If you don't pass don't worry! You can take the test as many times as you need with
no extra charge.
Other Courses You May be Interested In
This advanced safeguarding children course is designed to help managers develop the best practice through effective management skills and understanding of roles within the child protection system.
Learn More »
All food handlers in the catering sector can satisfy their legal requirement by taking this e-learning course. The course gives learners a basic awareness of good hygiene and safety issues and meets food industry recommendations, with reference to employees preparing, cooking and handling food in catering settings.
Learn More »