Promoting Positive Behaviour Online Training Course
As someone who works with children, it’s likely that difficult behaviour is one of the most challenging issues that you face. Challenging behaviour can be hard work to manage, but it’s important to consider the situation from the child’s perspective: children rarely misbehave for the sake of it; rather there is an underlying cause that needs to be identified and supported.
This Promoting Positive Behaviour course provides learners with the knowledge they need to respond appropriately to a child’s challenging behaviour. The course teaches learners how to communicate with children effectively, how to help them deal with any issues, and how to improve their behaviour in a confident and constructive manner. The course explains a range of child behaviour management techniques that you may wish to use in your setting or at home.
- Developed by a qualified child protection professional
- Accredited by CPD
- Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
- Full audio voiceover
- Approximate duration: 2 hours
- On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Who Should Take This Promoting Positive Behaviour Course?
This online course is recommended for professionals who want to have a better understanding of how to respond to the behaviour of the children that they work with.
The training applies to all types of professions, including teachers and teaching assistants, childcare workers, early years professionals and after-school club workers. The techniques discussed are applicable to children of all ages.
If you have not taken any training in child protection before, then it's recommended that you also take the Introduction to Safeguarding Children course.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming
to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
Screenshots (click to view)
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
Interactive Demo »
The course is divided into 6 accessible, interactive modules and includes an
assessment at the end:
Download Course Overview (PDF) »
- Understanding Challenging Behaviour – who this course is for, understanding challenging behaviour, needs, drives and emotional intelligence, case examples, reasons for challenging behaviour, how children respond to challenges, forming relationships with children and looking after yourself.
- Establishing Expectations – behaviour expectation systems, co-negotiating quality behaviours, rewards and sanctions, praise and commands and maintaining expectations.
- How to Respond Using Praise – benefits of responding well to challenging behaviour, how to respond appropriately, dealing with non-compliance, using praise as an incentive, proximal praise and using praise effectively.
- How to Use Rewards and Incentives – using rewards effectively, further approaches and setting limits and boundaries.
- How to Use Commands Effectively – unrealistic commands, how to deliver commands, question commands, stop commands, giving options, when-then commands, after giving a command, preparing children for commands and following through with praise or consequences.
- Dealing with Non-Compliance – first steps, ignoring challenging behaviour, returning the attention, time out, older children, dealing with aggression, physical intervention, what to do next and further resources and support.
Aims of the Course
By the end of this course, learners will:
- Understand what might cause difficult behaviour and how to build positive relationships with children.
- Be aware of the different strategies and techniques of child behaviour management.
- Understand how incentives and rewards can be used to motivate change in practice.
- Understand how to communicate clearly with children in order to set limits and boundaries, and help the child to learn what is appropriate behaviour.
- Know how to deal with non-compliance.
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will
be asked 20 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 80%. The
answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have passed.
If you don't pass don't worry! You can take the test as many times as you need with
no extra charge.
Other Courses You May be Interested In
An online course designed to help learners understand more about autism so they can identify the condition amongst children, understand more about the diagnosis process and know what adaptations can be made to help an autistic child to manage their condition.
Learn More »
An online course designed to help those with a designated child protection role to understand more about their responsibilities, including implementing effective safeguarding practices in the workplace, recognising and responding to abuse, working with other services and sharing appropriate information.
Learn More »