Level 2 Food Hygiene & Safety Certificate - For Retail
By law, all food handlers in the retail industry must ensure that the food they sell to customers is safe to eat.
2 Food Hygiene and Safety for Retail course ensures that you are fully up to date with food hygiene legislation and can
understand how to handle, prepare and serve food safely so as to prevent contamination, keep yourself and the premises clean
and manage stock control processes effectively.
- Matches RSPH and CIEH syllabus
- Meets UK and EU legal requirements for food handlers
- Accredited by CPD and Approved by RoSPA
- Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
- Full audio voiceover
- Approximate duration: 2 hours
- On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Who Should Take This Course?
This e-learning course has been designed so that all food handlers in the retail sector can satisfy their legal obligation
to undertake training. The course is aimed at anybody working in retail, for example market stalls, farm shops, grocery
stores, supermarkets, butchers, bakers, fish shops, wholesalers and delicatessens.
Anyone who is preparing, handling and/or serving food to consumers should take a
Level 2 Food Hygiene for Catering course.
The course gives learners a basic knowledge of good hygiene and safety issues and
meets food industry regulations, providing relevant examples with reference
to employees preparing, cooking and handling food in retail settings.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working
day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming
to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
This course is also approved by RoSPA, the Royal Society for the Prevention of
Accidents, as providing quality and content-approved training.
Environmental Health Officer Approved
This course has been audited and approved by Environmental Health Officers: the training materials have been independently
reviewed and are verified as containing the necessary knowledge to achieve the level of training specified.
Screenshots (click to view)
Interactive Demo »
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
The content of the course matches the syllabus used by both the CIEH and the RSPH
Download Course Overview (PDF) »
- Food Poisoning – Causes of food poisoning and the methods that can be taken to contain them
- Bacteriology – Food poisoning bacteria and its multiplication
- Prevention of Contamination – Controlling measures that can be put into place to prevent the spread of bacteria
- Personal Hygiene – How food handlers in the retail sector must maintain high levels of personal hygiene
- Premises & Pest Control – The need to keep food premises maintained and in good condition and the consequences
of infestation in a retail business
- Cleaning & Disinfection – The significance and methods of cleaning in retail premises
- The Law – The laws applying to the retail sector
- Stock Control – The importance of monitoring food to reduce the chance of safety problems and the importance of use-by
and best-before dates
Aims of the Training
By the end of the course learners will:
- Be able to identify the key hazards to food hygiene.
- Understand the best food handling and serving practice.
- Understand how to prevent cross contamination.
- Know how to apply food safety controls to achieve higher standards of food hygiene.
- Understand the importance of personal hygiene.
- Be able to help keep the workplace clean and hygienic and free from pests.
- Understand the best stock control procedures.
Once you have completed all of the online training material you will be able to take the online assessment. The assessment
consists of 30 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 70%. The answers are marked instantly so you will know whether
you have passed as soon as you finish.
If you don’t pass the assessment you can review the course material and take the assessment again as many times as necessary
at no extra charge.
Other Courses You May be Interested In
An online course designed to provide a comprehensive introduction to the dangers of working with asbestos so that anyone who is likely to disturb it in their work can work safely and prevent ill-health. This Asbestos Awareness (Category A) course is suitable for anyone who may be exposed to asbestos so that they can avoid work which may disturb an asbestos containing material.
Learn More »
All food handlers in the catering sector can satisfy their legal requirement by taking this e-learning course. The course gives learners a basic awareness of good hygiene and safety issues and meets food industry recommendations, with reference to employees preparing, cooking and handling food in catering settings.
Learn More »