Minute Taking Training Course
Minute taking is an essential part of business meetings. The minute-taker must be adept at producing concise, easy-to-understand minutes so to support the business’ decision-making process and to ensure the meeting’s overall success.
This Minute Taking course will train you to be a confident, skilled minute-taker and educate you in the importance of minute taking and good minute taking practices. The course is designed to familiarise you with the minute taking process, which includes preparation, taking notes within the meeting, and producing the complete Minutes document. It covers all the fundamental aspects of minute taking and what you should know as the person who is responsible for doing so. With this requisite knowledge, you will feel driven and confident in your role and fully prepared to efficiently fulfil your duties.
- Developed by business professionals
- Accredited by CPD
- Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
- Full audio voiceover
- Approximate Duration: 2 hours
- On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Who Should Take This Course?
This course is suitable for those in a secretary or minute-taker role (the task of taking minutes is often assigned to secretaries) who aim to improve their minute taking skills or for those who are starting out as a minute-taker and are unsure about what they need to do. It will prove particularly useful if you feel anxious, confused, or simply dissatisfied in your role and wish to enhance your ability to effectively take notes and produce professional, comprehensive Minutes with confidence and enthusiasm.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working
day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming
to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
Screenshots (click to view)
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
Interactive Demo »
The course is divided into 4 accessible, interactive modules and includes an
assessment at the end:
Download Course Overview (PDF)
- Introduction – what is minute taking and why is it important? the minute-taker's role, what needs to be recorded, the chairperson and key definitions.
- Preparation – preparing the agenda, agenda items, reading the agenda, preparing templates, research, preparing equipment, equipment that is needed or should be avoided, documents and arranging for other equipment.
- During the Meeting – entering the meeting, taking minutes, writing in bullet points, focusing on action points, asking questions, maintaining focus, organising a break, recording motions and minute taking tips.
- After the Meeting - writing the minutes, what to include, when to write the minutes, styles of writing, action points, useful terminology and the finished minutes.
Aims of the Course
By the end of this course, learners will have a thorough understanding of:
- What minute taking is, why it is important for ensuring the success of business meetings, and what the minute-taker's role is.
- The preparatory stages you should go through, including the preparation of agendas, creation of templates, doing research, and gathering all the equipment and documents that you and others will need during a meeting.
- What you should do during a meeting. You will know what to do when entering it, what your notes should include, the style you should use, where your focus should lie, and various other aspects to help you make effective notes during a meeting.
- What you should do after a meeting is finished; namely, the production of the 'final minutes'. You will understand what this document should include, the style in which it should be written, the most effective structure to use, and what to do once it is completed.
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will
be asked 12 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 75%. The
answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have passed.
If you don't pass don't worry! You can take the test as many times as you need with
no extra charge.
Other Courses You May be Interested In
This COSHH training course gives employers and workers the information they need in order to comply with regulations in the workplace. It explains how to provide adequate control of employees’ exposure to harmful substances through methods of prevention and monitoring, details the control measures needed and advises on how to minimise risks.
Learn More »
For anyone wishing to further their personal development or improve workplace organisation, the online Time Management Course gives learners practical and simple advice that can be taken to allow them to improve and manage the use of their time and increase efficiency, both in the workplace and personal life.
Learn More »