Attaining a 5 in the Food Hygiene Rating Scheme
This course aims to provide all food handlers with a thorough understanding of how the Food Hygiene Rating Scheme (FHRS) works so that the knowledge can be applied to your own workplace and you can aim towards achieving, and maintaining, a level 5 food hygiene rating.
When a Food Safety Officer visits your premises to carry out a food hygiene inspection, they will give you a rating under the Food Hygiene Rating Scheme. It should be the aim of all food handlers to ensure that they are doing everything they can in order to ensure their business achieves, and maintains, the highest rating possible so as to increase customer confidence and loyalty. This course explains the areas you need to consider in order to achieve this aim.
Designed by Food Industry Experts
Accredited by CPD
Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
Full audio voiceover
Approximate duration: 6 hours
On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Who Should Take This Course?
This course is suitable for all managers and supervisors of food premises who are looking to achieve the highest food hygiene rating score under the Food Hygiene Rating Scheme. The course is also suitable for all levels of food handler who wish to gain further knowledge of the Food Hygiene Rating Scheme and understand their role in achieving the best score. There are no prerequisites to the course, although it is recommended you have a good knowledge of food safety and hygiene procedures alongside this training.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working
day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming
to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
Screenshots (click to view)
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
Interactive Demo »
The course is divided into thirteen accessible, interactive modules and includes an assessment at the end. Each section of the course also includes a downloadable ‘checklist’ which can be used to assess the current conditions of your workplace:
- The Food Hygiene Rating Scheme – receiving a rating, understanding the scoring system, getting and keeping a level 5, appeals, why getting a level 5 is important.
- How to Achieve Level 5 – personal hygiene, equipment, pest control, physical and chemical contamination, cleaning and temperature control.
- How to Achieve Level 5: Conditions of the Premises – premises law, toilets, general requirements and food preparation areas.
- Managing and Documenting Food Safety – HACCP, managing food hygiene, training, suppliers and contractors, daily routine, stock control and food allergies.
- Advice on E.Coli – key considerations, equipment, cleaning, handwashing and management controls.
- Advice on Pest Control – using a contractor, procedures, in-house pest control, training and documentation.
- Advice on Cooking Temperatures – core cooking temperature and considerations.
- Advice on the Use of Eggs – storage, handling eggs, cross contamination, reducing the risk of salmonella, pasteurised eggs, vulnerable people, risk assessment, Class A eggs, weight grading and packaging.
- Advice on the Storage of Oysters – traceability, reception and delivery, storage, handling, illness and management procedures.
- Advice for Older Properties – achieving level 5, physical layout of the premises, floors, pipe-work, flaking paint, mould, pest control and confidence in management.
- Requirements for Food Preparation Rooms – considerations and best practice.
- Surfaces in Food Preparation Areas – considerations, best practice and shelving.
- Interpretation of the Term 'Adequate' – the law, premises requirements, food preparation areas, pest control and further help.
Download Course Overview (PDF) »
Aims of the Course
By the end of this course, learners will:
- Understand the Food Hygiene Rating Scheme scoring system.
- Know what needs to be done in order to achieve the highest level under the Food Hygiene Rating Scheme.
- Understand the common mistakes that food businesses make that can cause them to receive a low rating.
- Have the tools needed to help improve their food premises so that the highest Food Hygiene Rating can be achieved and maintained.
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will be asked 15 multiple choice
questions with a pass mark of 80%.
The answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have
passed. If you don't pass don't worry! You can take the test as many times as you
need with no extra charge.
Other Courses You May be Interested In
The Level 3 Supervising Food Safety Course is designed for supervisors and food managers who require a broader understanding of food safety control in the catering sector. The course is recommended for anyone responsible for managing people in a food business.
Learn More »
This restaurant hospitality training course is designed for front-of-house staff providing the information they need in order to give excellent customer service when greeting and seating guests, serving food and making food and drink recommendations.
Learn More »