Nutrition for the Elderly Training Course
Malnutrition amongst the elderly is a significant health problem yet one that can easily be remedied. It’s a fact that the UK has an ageing population, yet to avoid this creating a burden on healthcare we should all aim to remain as healthy as possible throughout later life.
This Nutrition for the Elderly course provides an introduction to the dietary needs of the older generations so that the right diet choices can be made and malnutrition can be identified and acted on before it becomes a health concern for the person involved.
- Developed by a qualified dietician
- Accredited by CPD
- Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
- Full audio voiceover
- Approximate duration: 1-2 hours
- On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Who Should Take This Nutrition for the Elderly Course?
This course is suitable for anyone who cares for people in later life, whether this is in a care home, healthcare setting or at home. There are no prerequisites to the course and the training is suitable for learners of all levels.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working
day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming
to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
This certificate does not have an expiry date. However, based on industry best practice guidelines, the recommended renewal period for this training is 5 years. We will print this recommended renewal date on your certificate.
Screenshots (click to view)
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
Interactive Demo »
The course is divided into four accessible, interactive modules and includes an
assessment at the end:
- Nutrition in an Ageing Population – nutritional requirements, mental health, nutritional recommendations and limitations.
- Nutritional Requirements of the Elderly – vitamin C, vitamin D, zinc, physical activity, fluids and dehydration.
- Preventing Malnutrition – reasons for malnutrition, people at risk, symptoms of malnutrition, Body Mass Index, treating malnutrition and the Malnutrition Universal Screening Test.
- Tips for Fortifying Food – encouraging weight gain, diabetes, how to fortify foods, recipes and suggested foods and fortified drinks.
Aims of the Course
By the end of this course, learners will:
Download Course Overview (PDF) »
- Understand some of the reasons for poor nutrition amongst the ageing population.
- Have knowledge of the nutritional requirements of the older generation.
- Understand the causes, symptoms and treatment of malnutrition.
- Understand the importance of encouraging weight gain when older people are suffering from malnutrition.
- Know how to fortify some common foods to improve their nutritional and calorific content.
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will
be asked 10 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 70%. The
answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have passed.
If you don't pass don't worry! You can take the test as many times as you need with
no extra charge.
Other Courses You May be Interested In
This Level 3 HACCP training course gives managers and supervisors who work with food an overview of HACCP, including how to implement and manage a HACCP plan effectively to comply with UK / EU regulations.
Learn More »
This online nutrition training course aims to explain the relationship between nutrition, diet and health so that people are able to make decisions about what they should be eating for the best nutritional results.
Learn More »