Online Ladder Safety Training Course
Understanding how to use a ladder safely and carry out your work activity with care is essential for all types of workers. Many industries require the use of ladders yet many employees are not suitably trained to do so. Using a ladder and working at height can present many risks to workers’ health and safety if not managed correctly: to be safe, the user must be competent.
This Ladder Safety Training course provides a complete introduction to ladder safety so you can learn about safe working practices. In particular, it looks at how to select, set up, and use ladders as well as carry out pre-use checks to ensure they are fit for purpose. By completing the training, learners will understand the relevant health and safety legislation and feel more confident about safely carrying out their workplace tasks.
- Ensures compliance with UK Health and Safety legislation.
- Developed by health and safety professionals
- Accredited by CPD and Approved by RoSPA
- Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
- Full audio voiceover
- Approximate duration: 2 hours
- On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Who Should Take This Course?
This course is suitable for employees of all levels, including full-time and part-time workers, managers and supervisors, who are required to use ladders or stepladders as part of their job role. The course is designed as an introduction to ladder safety and so no prerequisites are needed.
If your job role involves Working at Height, then you are required to undertake training to prove that you're competent and safe to do so. See our Working at Height Training Course
for more information.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
This course is also approved by RoSPA, the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, as providing quality and content-approved training.
This certificate does not have an expiry date. However, based on industry best practice guidelines, the recommended renewal period for this training is 3 years. We will print this recommended renewal date on your certificate.
Screenshots (click to view)
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
Interactive Demo »
The course is divided into 5 accessible, interactive modules and includes an assessment at the end:
Download Course Overview (PDF) »
- Introduction to Ladder Safety – why ladder safety is important, what are the risks, employer responsibilities, and employee duties.
- Legal Responsibilities – who can use ladders, the Work at Height Regulations, the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations, RIDDOR, and the Health and Safety Executive.
- Risk Assessment – what is a risk assessment, step 1: identify the hazards, step 2: determine who may be harmed, step 3: decide on precautions, step 4: record findings and implement controls, step 5: review and update, and who should carry out risk assessments.
- Inspection, Maintenance, and Storage – pre-use inspections, formal inspections, maintenance and repair, and storage.
- Using Ladders Safely – what type of ladder to use, ladder classifications, safe handling techniques, setting up and securing ladders, ladder extensions, ascending and descending ladders, working on ladders, and personal protective equipment.
Aims of the Training Course
By the end of this course learners will:
- Understand why it's important to work with ladders safely and what the law requires.
- Recognise what everyone's duties are regarding ladder safety and who can use them.
- Know what is required to carry out a ladder risk assessment.
- Understand how to carry out pre-use inspections of ladders.
- Be aware of formal inspections, repair and maintenance, and storage procedures for ladders.
- Recognise the various safety practices they must follow when using leaning ladders and step ladders, including setting them up, stabilising, transporting, and working on them.
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will be asked 15 multiple choice questions
with a pass mark of 80%. The answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have passed. If you don't pass don't worry! You can take the test as many times as you need with no extra charge.
Other Courses You May be Interested In
Manual Handling Awareness gives guidance on assessing the risks of manual handling in the workplace and provides practical advice on the safe lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling of loads.
Learn More »
This Working at Height Training course ensures compliance with the Work at Height Regulations 2005 by providing learners with an understanding of the risks and controls measures associated with working at height.
Learn More »