PPE Training For Healthcare Workers
10% discount on 10+ courses
20% discount on 50+ courses
This online training course provides you with the knowledge and techniques needed to safely use personal protective equipment (PPE) to prevent the transmission of viruses, diseases, and infections. By undertaking this training, you will learn the correct methods of using, disposing, and storing PPE to ensure high levels of hygiene and safety.
This course complies with the current advice jointly released by Public Health England, the NHS and the Department of Health and Social Care for the use of medical PPE during COVID-19.
- Developed in line with NHS and Public Health England guidance together with healthcare professionals
- Accredited by CPD and Approved by RoSPA
- Online training course and assessment with no time limits
- Full audio voiceover
- Approximate duration: 2 hours
- Downloadable certificate on completion
Free For NHS & Care Workers
This course is currently free to access for NHS employees and care workers.
Get Free Course Access
What Personal Protective Equipment Is Covered In This Course?
The course covers how to safely put on (don), take off (doff), dispose and store the following types of PPE:
- Gloves (non-sterile and sterile)
- Aprons, long-sleeved gowns, and coveralls
- Face masks (fluid resistant face masks (FRSM))
- Respirators (filtering face piece (class 3) (FFP3) respirators)
- Eye protection (polycarbonate protective glasses, goggles and face shields/visors)
- Head and foot protection
Who Should Take This Course?
This course is suitable for all staff working in a healthcare setting who need to know how to use personal protective equipment correctly. It's especially important for anyone working in healthcare to understand how to safely use PPE during the current COVID-19 pandemic. This includes:
- Hospital staff
- GP staff
- Residential care workers
- Cleaners, porters and anyone else who may come into contact with patients or contaminated materials.
This course is suitable for staff of all levels, including employees, supervisors and managers.
This course is not aimed at those working in non-healthcare settings who may need to wear PPE at work during the COVID-19 pandemic. Those working in lower risk environments, such as restaurant and hospitality staff, retail workers, office workers or school staff, would better benefit from our COVID-19 Essentials: Infection Prevention & PPE course.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming to universally accepted Continuing Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
This course is also approved by RoSPA, the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, as providing quality and content-approved training.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
This certificate does not have an expiry date. However, based on industry best practice guidelines, the recommended renewal period for this training is 3 years. We will print this recommended renewal date on your certificate.
Skills for Care Endorsed Training Provider
We're proud to be officially endorsed by Skills for Care, the strategic body for workforce development in social care in England and a delivery partner for the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC). Skills for Care endorsement is a trusted quality mark only awarded to the best learning and development providers within the social care sector.
Screenshots (click to view)
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
|1||How to Use Healthcare PPE: Part 1|| |
Gloves, Masks and Respirators - When should you use PPE, Essential requirements for PPE, Hand hygiene, Pre-donning steps for PPE, How to use sterile and non-sterile gloves, How to use face masks and respirators.
|2||How to Use Healthcare PPE: Part 2|| |
Eye and Face and Body Protection - How to use eye protection, How to use aprons or long-sleeved gowns, How to use head and foot protection, Wearing multiple items of PPE.
|3||Changing, Disposal, Storage, and Maintenance of PPE|| |
When to change your PPE, What to do if your PPE is compromised, How to safely dispose of PPE, Storing PPE, Maintaining your PPE, General PPE safety rules.
|4||PPE During COVID-19|| |
PPE and COVID-19 requirements, COVID-19 care pathways, Using PPE: all pathways or settings, Using PPE: the high risk pathway, Using PPE: the medium risk pathway, Using PPE: the low risk pathway, Changing PPE during COVID-19, Delivering home care during COVID-19, PPE shortages during COVID-19, How to safely dispose of and reuse PPE during COVID-19
Download Course Overview (PDF)
Aims of the Course
By the end of this course, learners will:
- Know how to correctly put on and remove a range of personal protective equipment for healthcare. This includes gloves, face masks, respirators, eye protection, face shields, and long-sleeved gowns.
- Be aware of when PPE should be worn and what types should be used in different situations.
- Understand when multiple items of PPE need to be worn and know the order in which they should be put on and taken off.
- Know how to carry out good hand hygiene.
- Know how often and the circumstances in which PPE should be changed.
- Be aware of what actions must be taken if PPE is compromised.
- Understand the legal requirements for safely disposing of used PPE in the correct waste stream, including during COVID-19.
- Understand how to correctly store and maintain PPE.
- Know the requirements for the use of PPE during COVID-19.
- Recognise when PPE should be changed during COVID-19, including when delivering home care.
- Understand the measures that may be taken if there are shortages of PPE.
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will be asked 20 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 85%. The answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have passed. If you don't pass don't worry! You can take the test as many times as you need with no extra charge.