The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (PUWER) are in place to ensure that the equipment you operate in your workplace is safe to use.
This course helps you to understand your responsibilities according to the legislation so that you can select safe work equipment, assess the risks in your workplace and ensure the hazards to people’s health and safely are appropriately managed.
The course will provide you with guidance on control measures and practical health and safety information that you can apply to your own usage of work equipment.
- Ensures compliance with UK Health and Safety legislation
- Developed by health and safety professionals
- Accredited by CPD and Approved by RoSPA
- Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
- Full audio voiceover
- Approximate duration: 1-2 hours
- On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Who Should Take This Course?
Under the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations, employers must ensure that their workers are sufficiently trained in relevant health and safety practices. If your job role involves operating or managing the use of work equipment then it’s essential that you’re familiar with the hazards and how to manage them.
This applies to all types of workplaces, including factories, offices, shops, hospitals, construction sites and farms - anywhere that equipment and machinery are used at work. By taking this PUWER course you are fulfilling your responsibility to undertake health and safety training.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working
day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming
to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
This course is also approved by RoSPA, the Royal Society for the Prevention of
Accidents, as providing quality and content-approved training.
Screenshots (click to view)
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
Interactive Demo »
The course is divided into four accessible, interactive modules and includes an assessment at the end:
Download Course Overview (PDF) »
- Introduction to PUWER – what is PUWER? Key terms, related legislation, the risks, employer and employee duties and the hierarchy of control measures.
- Risk Assessment – what is a risk assessment? Identify the hazards, decide who may be harmed, evaluate the risks, record findings and implement controls and review and update the assessment.
- Reducing and Controlling Risks Part One – can the task be avoided? Equipment selection, strength and stability, location of the equipment, Safe Working Loads, equipment storage, tripping hazards and signage.
- Reducing and Controlling Risks Part Two – maintenance, the competent person, inspection, examination and testing, testing hired equipment, training and communication and emergency procedures.
Aims of the Course
By the end of this course learners will:
- Understand their legal responsibilities under the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998.
- Have awareness of how to undertake a risk assessment of the work premises.
- Have knowledge of the control measures needed to ensure health and safety and manage the hazards created by the use of work equipment.
- Understand the importance of careful equipment selection, safe working practices, equipment maintenance, inspection and testing and emergency procedures.
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will be asked 12 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 80%.
The answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have passed. If you don't pass don't worry! You can take the test as many times as you need with no extra charge.
Other Courses You May be Interested In
An online course designed to provide individuals who will be acquiring lifting equipment and those who will be operating it with the knowledge they need to adhere to LOLER requirements. Upon completion of the course, they will have a strong understanding of the risks lifting operations and equipment may pose, how to select and maintain equipment, and how to thoroughly plan lifting operations so people's safety is assured.
Learn More »
An online course designed to give learners an understanding of their duties under the Work at Height Regulations 2005. It explains how to carry out work at height safely and in accordance with the regulations.
Learn More »