This ADHD awareness training course can help anyone who works closely with a child who has ADHD. The course aims to raise your understanding of what ADHD is, what might cause it, and most importantly how to support children and families so that children are able to get the best outcomes for occupational, educational, and social success.
ADHD is thought to affect approximately 3-7% of school-age children. There are three different types, and each type of ADHD causes real difficulties in a child's daily life.
Developed by professionals
Accredited by CPD
Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
Full audio voiceover
Approximate duration: 3 hours
On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Who Should Take This Course?
The course primarily focuses on children and ADHD and has been designed for people who work around or look after young children, such as parents, carers, teachers, teaching assistants, childminders, school support staff, and other childcare professionals.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working
day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming
to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
Screenshots (click to view)
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
Interactive Demo »
The course is divided into eight accessible, interactive modules and includes an assessment at the end:
- What is ADHD? is an introduction to attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, topics include the common age of diagnosis, the prevalence of ADHD in males and females, ADHD and twins, comorbidity, and the difference between autism and ADHD.
- What Causes ADHD? looks at a range of potential genetic and environmental causes including genetics, brain function and structure, lead exposure, alcohol consumption in pregnancy, smoking during pregnancy, low birth weight and premature birth. The module also debunks common myths about the causes of ADHD.
- Signs of ADHD covers the three types of ADHD: predominantly inattentive, predominantly hyperactive-impulsive, and the combined type. The module also looks at how ADHD produces differences in neurocognitive functioning, what sluggish cognitive tempo is, and other comorbidities that may happen alongside ADHD.
- Diagnosing ADHD looks at what to expect during the diagnosis process, topics include seeing a GP, the watchful waiting process, getting an assessment, and how the diagnostic process works for adults who may have ADHD.
- Managing ADHD explores the NICE recommendations for care and support, the medications that are available in the UK, and a range of behaviour therapies, psychoeducation, parent training, social skills training, cognitive behavioural therapy and other treatments that are offered to support parents, carers, teachers, and children with ADHD.
- ADHD and the Law explains how ADHD relates to the Equality Act 2010 and the Children and Families Act 2014. The module also looks at the definition of ADHD as a disability and reasonable accommodations that schools can make. Other topics include SEN support, the role of the SENCO, and creating an education, health and care plan (EHC plan).
- ADHD and the Classroom provides tips for teachers and teaching assistants supporting a child with ADHD's learning. The module looks at how to establish strong working relationships with parents and carers, many of the common classroom challenges, good classroom accommodations, teaching techniques, adapting homework, rewarding appropriate behaviour, how to avoid isolation and exclusion, and specific interventions for both the hyperactive-impulsive type and the inattentive type.
- Managing ADHD at Home focuses on how parents and carers can manage ADHD at home, topics include: defining good and bad behaviour, creating routines, managing aggression, letting the little things go, being specific about praise and instructions, the need for exercise, being positive about ADHD (and what neurodiversity is). The module also looks at how having a child with ADHD may affect other siblings who do not have ADHD and how to handle outsiders who just don't understand. Finally, the module includes some great further resources for you to expand your knowledge.
Download Course Overview (PDF) »
Aims of the Course
By completing this course, you will:
- Develop a detailed understanding of what ADHD is.
- Develop an awareness of common signs of ADHD in children.
- Know how ADHD is diagnosed in children.
- Understand the common treatments and methods of managing ADHD, including both medication and behavioural therapies.
- Know how to manage and support children with ADHD in the classroom.
- Have an understanding of how to manage and support children with ADHD at home.
- Understand how ADHD can impact a child’s relationships with siblings, parents, and outsiders.
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will
be asked 15 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 80%. The
answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have passed.
If you don't pass don't worry! You can take the test as many times as you need with
no extra charge.
Other Courses You May be Interested In
This Level 2 Health and Safety in the Workplace course aims to help learners understand their responsibilities in regards to health and safety law so that they can efficiently identify hazards, follow appropriate control measures and keep themselves and others in the workplace safe from harm.
Learn More »
The Risk Assessment course teaches candidates how to identify hazards and produce a thorough risk assessment that is appropriate to your workplace. Developed by Chartered Members of the Institute of Occupational Health & Safety (CMIOSH) with many years experience in the delivery of training solutions, the result is an accessible interactive high quality training package.
Learn More »