Dementia Awareness Training Course
This Dementia Awareness training course has been designed as an introduction to dementia so that carers can learn more about the subject and feel more confident about caring for someone with the condition.
The course covers all aspects of dementia, including the symptoms to look out for, information on how dementia is diagnosed and tips for adaptations you can make to the person’s home and lifestyle in order to make everyday living easier.
- Developed by professionals
- Accredited by CPD
- Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
- Full audio voiceover
- Approximate duration: 2-3 hours
- On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Who Should Take This Course?
This course is suitable for carers who are looking after a person with dementia or who wish to learn more about the condition. The course is suitable for learners of all levels, including those who work in care home settings, medical settings or simply relatives who are looking after a family member with the condition at home. The course is designed as an introduction to the topic of dementia and so no pre-requisite training or knowledge is needed.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working
day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming
to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
Screenshots (click to view)
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
Interactive Demo »
The course is divided into five accessible, interactive modules and includes an assessment
at the end:
Download Course Overview
- Introduction – what is dementia and can it be prevented? Dementia statistics, the types of dementia and the people most at risk.
- Symptoms of Dementia – the role of a carer, memory loss, disorientation, personality change, difficulties with everyday tasks and words and how dementia progresses.
- Diagnosis – contacting a doctor, early diagnosis, how dementia is diagnosed, contacting a support group, living and work arrangements, driving, legal and financial affairs and treatment for dementia.
- Caring for Someone with Dementia – remaining independent, managing relationships, memory aids, everyday life, diet and general health and getting further help and support.
- Home Adaptations for People with Dementia – introducing changes, adaptations for the kitchen, bathroom, living space and stairways, lighting, warmth, specialist equipment and further contacts.
Aims of the Course
At the end of this course learners will:
- Understand what the different types of dementia are and understand who is most at risk from the illness.
- Know which are the most common symptoms of dementia to look out for.
- Understand how dementia is diagnosed.
- Understand the importance of taking care of everyone involved in the diagnosis, including both the patient and the carer.
- Know how to care for someone with dementia, maintain their health and help them with everyday tasks and issues.
- Be aware of the different home adaptations that can be made to make living with dementia easier and maintain the person's independence.
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will
be asked 10 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 80%. The
answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have passed.
If you don't pass don't worry! You can take the test as many times as you need with
no extra charge.
Other Courses You May be Interested In
This safeguarding vulnerable adults (SOVA) course is designed to help people increase their knowledge, identify signs of potential abuse and understand what to do with any concerns.
Learn More »
The Level 3 Supervising Food Safety Course is designed for supervisors and food managers who require a broader understanding of food safety control in the catering sector. The course is recommended for anyone responsible for managing people in a food business.
Learn More »