Introduction to Safeguarding Children Refresher Training (Level 1 Safeguarding)
As someone who works with children and/or their families, no matter how frequently, it’s essential that your knowledge of safeguarding practices remains up-to-date. It’s recommended that you undertake training every 3 years to ensure that you continue to have a clear understanding of your responsibilities.
This Introduction to Safeguarding Children Refresher course will renew your existing child protection knowledge so that you remain confident in recognising the signs of abuse, reporting concerns and protecting children from harm. The course uses a variety of written text and interactive exercises to help you achieve this.
- Developed by a qualified child protection professional
- Accredited by CPD
- Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
- Full audio voiceover
- Approximate duration: 2 hours
- On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Who Should Take This Course?
This course is suitable for people of all professions who are required to undertake regular safeguarding children training as part of their role. It is a requirement for all those working with children and/or their families to have up-to-date knowledge of how to safeguard children and by taking this training course you will fulfil that obligation.
Because this course is a refresher, you should have already completed the Introduction to Safeguarding Children Training Course previously. This course is intended to update your existing knowledge on safeguarding children issues. It’s recommended that you take refresher training every 3 years.
The course is suitable for workers of all levels, including managers, supervisors, full-time staff, part-time staff and volunteers.
If you are looking for higher level training, we also provide Advanced Safeguarding Children Training and the Advanced Safeguarding Children Refresher Course.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working
day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming
to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
This certificate does not have an expiry date. However, based on industry best practice guidelines, the recommended renewal period for this training is 3 years. We will print this recommended renewal date on your certificate.
Screenshots (click to view)
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
Interactive Demo »
The course is divided into five accessible, interactive modules and includes an
assessment at the end:
Download Course Overview (PDF) »
- Introduction – what is safeguarding? The Victoria Climbié inquiry, Every Child Matters and your responsibilities.
- Recognising the Signs of Abuse – how child abuse is defined, categories of abuse, physical abuse, emotional abuse, sexual abuse and neglect, recognising the signs, child development and vulnerable children.
- Responding to a Disclosure – how a concern may come to your attention, disclosures and how to respond, why children don’t disclose and why adults don’t take action.
- Reporting Your Concerns – how to report a concern and who to report to, what to do if the report isn’t taken seriously or if the concerns are about another professional, when to report and what to report, talking to the child’s parents and what happens next.
- Recording Information – when to record concerns, what to record and record keeping tips.
Aims of the Course
By the end of this course you will:
- Remember what is meant by 'safeguarding' and why learning about safeguarding children is so important.
- Refresh your knowledge about how to identify the indicators and warning signs of abuse.
- Reconsider how to respond to any concerns that you have about a child.
- Refresh your knowledge of how to act should a child disclose information about abuse to you.
- Remember why it's important to report your concerns to another professional plus understand what happens at a higher level when a report is made.
- Refresh your knowledge of how to record your concerns.
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will be asked 15 multiple choice questions
with a pass mark of 80%. The answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have passed.
If you don't pass don't worry! You can take the test as many times as you need with no extra charge.
Other Courses You May be Interested In
All food handlers in the catering sector can satisfy their legal requirement by taking this e-learning course. The course gives learners a basic awareness of good hygiene and safety issues and meets food industry recommendations, with reference to employees preparing, cooking and handling food in catering settings.
Learn More »
This child protection training course is designed to help people take an important first step in learning more about child protection and the safeguarding of the children around them.
Learn More »