Safer Recruitment in Education Training
Adhering to strict safer recruitment processes is an essential component of safeguarding children. Safer recruitment helps to ensure that the people you hire to work in your educational setting are suitable for the role and match up with your expectations, attitudes and values.
This Safer Recruitment in Education course aims to help you understand what’s involved in the process from start to finish, looking at how to create an applicant information pack, how to interview candidates, how to carry out pre-appointment checks and how to ensure you’re doing all that you can to find the right person for the job role.
- Developed by a qualified child protection professional
- Accredited by CPD
- Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
- Full audio voiceover
- Approximate duration: 2-3 hours
- On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Who Should Take This Online Training Course?
This course is suitable for anyone who has responsibility for hiring and/or supervising new staff members to work with children and young people. This applies whether you’re hiring full-time, part-time or voluntary workers.
All professionals have a duty to keep children safe from harm and this begins with following correct safer recruitment procedures. Examples of people who may wish to take this course include:
- Teachers and head teachers.
- Heads of departments.
- School governors.
- HR staff members.
If you work with children in a non-educational setting, such as in a sports club or as a childminder, then our Safer Recruitment Training will be more appropriate for your training needs.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working
day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming
to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
This certificate does not have an expiry date. However, based on industry best practice guidelines, the recommended renewal period for this training is 2 years. We will print this recommended renewal date on your certificate.
Screenshots (click to view)
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
Interactive Demo »
The course is divided into six accessible, interactive modules and includes an
assessment at the end:
Download Course Overview (PDF) »
- Introduction to Safer Recruitment – why safer recruitment is important, children most at risk, case examples of Nigel Leat, Jeremy Forrest and Ian Huntley, raising awareness and key guidance.
- Step 1: Create the Job Description and Application Pack – preparing to recruit, common recruitment mistakes, applicant information packs: job description, person specification, safeguarding statement, self-disclosure forms, selection process outline, application forms and references, creating a successful job advert.
- Step 2: Shortlist Candidates, Contact Referees and Review Disclosures – considering applications, contacting referees, reviewing self-disclosure forms and preparing for the interview process.
- Step 3: Interview Shortlisted Candidates – before the interviews, asking questions, question styles, listening well, causes for concern and closing the interview.
- Step 4: Pre-Appointment and DBS Checks – pre-appointment checks: eligibility to work in the UK, DBS checks, prohibition orders, qualifications, professional status and overseas checks, hiring through third parties and making a conditional offer.
- Step 5: The Induction Process and Maintaining a Safe Workplace – the induction process, code of conduct, monitoring and supervision, maintaining a safe workplace, dealing with allegations and the case example of Vanessa George.
Aims of the Course
By the end of this course you will:
- Understand why having strict safer recruitment practices in place is so important in regards to safeguarding children.
- Know how to put together an effective applicant information pack, including a job description and safeguarding statement.
- Know what to look for when shortlisting candidates.
- Understand how to contact referees and know what is needed from a reference.
- Know how to successfully interview candidates.
- Understand what is involved in the pre-appointment checks, including DBS checks, before a candidate can start work.
- Understand the importance of a thorough staff induction process and safeguarding children training.
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will
be asked 20 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 80%. The
answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have passed.
If you don't pass don't worry! You can take the test as many times as you need with
no extra charge.
Other Courses You May be Interested In
An online course designed to help those with a designated child protection role to understand more about their responsibilities, including implementing effective safeguarding practices in the workplace, recognising and responding to abuse, working with other services and sharing appropriate information.
Learn More »
All food handlers in the catering sector can satisfy their legal requirement by taking this e-learning course. The course gives learners a basic awareness of good hygiene and safety issues and meets food industry recommendations, with reference to employees preparing, cooking and handling food in catering settings.
Learn More »