Level 3 Food Hygiene & Safety in Retail Training
If you are a manager or supervisor in a food retail business then you are likely to have responsibility for ensuring controls
are in place – and adhered to – in regards to maintaining high food hygiene standards in your business.
This Level 3 Supervising
Food Safety in Retail course explains all the key steps in a food safety management (HACCP) system so that you can learn
more about the basics of food hygiene and successfully implement controls in your own workplace to ensure the food handling
process is as safe and hygienic as possible.
- Matches RSPH and CIEH syllabus
- Meets UK and EU legal requirements for food handlers
- Accredited by CPD and Approved by RoSPA
- Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
- Full audio voiceover
- Approximate duration: 10 hours
- On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Who Should Take This Course?
The Level 3 Supervising Food Safety Course is designed for supervisors and food managers who require a broader understanding
of food safety control in
the retail sector, for example market stalls, farm shops, grocery stores, supermarkets, butchers, bakers, fish shops,
wholesalers and delicatessens. The
course is recommended for anyone responsible for managing people in a food business. It is designed to provide detailed
knowledge of food safety principles
and practices, through identifying potential hazards to food safety. In providing this knowledge, supervisors and food
managers will be able to develop
and implement food safety systems appropriate to their workplace.
The Level 3 Food Hygiene Course is ideal for anyone responsible for the HACCP system in a food business. The course focuses
on developing an in depth
knowledge of food safety, implementing a HACCP system and the importance of training staff. The course will give candidates
the knowledge required for
putting a food safety management system into place, whilst teaching the candidates how to communicate this knowledge
to other staff as the business expands.
The course provides knowledge of correct management procedures specific to retail sector situations, including traceability
and product recalls.
Our Level 3 Supervising Food Safety Course is recommended for any food business that is striving to achieve a 5* Scores
on the Doors rating, the national
hygiene rating system that looks at how well a food business is managed. To achieve a 5* rating, best practise in managing
and achieving very high standards
of compliance with food safety legislation must be demonstrated throughout the business. The Environmental Health Officer
will be looking for managers
and supervisors to be trained to Level 3 Food Hygiene standard to award the premises a good rating.
For Supervisors and Managers in small businesses, taking the Level 3 Course will help make sense of the Safer Food Better
Business Pack provided by the
FSA (Also Cook Safe in Scotland / Safe Catering in Northern Ireland). The course will give candidates the foundation
as to why food safety is important.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working
day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming
to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
This course is also approved by RoSPA, the Royal Society for the Prevention of
Accidents, as providing quality and content-approved training.
Environmental Health Officer Approved
This course has been audited and approved by Environmental Health Officers: the training materials have been independently
reviewed and are verified as containing the necessary knowledge to achieve the level of training specified.
Screenshots (click to view)
Interactive Demo »
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
The content of the course matches the syllabus used by both the CIEH and the RSPH includes:
Download Course Overview (PDF) »
- Food Legislation – UK and EU food legislation, compliance with food legislation and due diligence.
- Microbiology - how bacteria multiplies, high-risk foods, common food-borne illnesses and their effects.
- Prevention of Contamination - explores types of contamination, cross-contamination and the measures that can be taken
to prevent contamination of
- Personal Hygiene - the need for good personal hygiene in the retail business and the role of the supervisor in ensuring
high standards are maintained.
- Food Safety Control - the value of good storage and the importance of date checking, stock control and the effect
that bad food hygiene in a retail
business can have.
- Temperature Control - the various methods of measuring food temperatures, the correct temperatures for heating and
cooling food and the stages of
the cook-chill method.
- Food Spoilage Control - what causes food spoilage and the types of food preservation available to prevent spoilage.
- Pest Control – common food pests, their impact on the workplace and the methods that can be taken to control them.
- Cleaning & Disinfection - the benefits of cleaning, the different methods of cleaning, managing cleaning schedules,
controlling internal and
external waste appropriately.
- Training Staff - the legal regulations regarding training, types of training and the need for good communications
and record keeping.
- Implementing Food Management Safety Systems - a detailed examination of each step of the HACCP system.
- Traceability – the role of the supervisor in audits and tracing food products from ‘farm to fork’.
Aims of the Training
By the end of this course learners will:
- Understand the key food hygiene legislation.
- Understand the best food safety practice so as to avoid contamination of food.
- Understand the need for personal hygiene measures.
- Be able to implement effective food safety controls.
- Be able to implement a cleaning schedule so as to keep the premises hygienic.
- Understand the importance of training staff.
- Understand each stage of a HACCP food safety management system.
- Learn more about traceability and the role of supervisors/managers.
Once you have completed all of the online training material you will be able to take the online assessment. The assessment
consists of 60 multiple choice
questions with a pass mark of 70%. The answers are marked instantly so you will know whether you have passed as soon
as you finish.
If you don't pass the assessment you can review the course material and take the assessment again as many times as necessary
at no extra charge.
Other Courses You May be Interested In
All food handlers in the catering sector can satisfy their legal requirement by taking this e-learning course. The course gives learners a basic awareness of good hygiene and safety issues and meets food industry recommendations, with reference to employees preparing, cooking and handling food in catering settings.
Learn More »
The Level 3 Supervising Food Safety Course is designed for supervisors and food managers who require a broader understanding of food safety control in the manufacturing sector. The course is recommended for anyone responsible for managing people in a food business.
Learn More »