Food Allergen Awareness Training
All food handlers have a legal responsibility to ensure that the food they manufacture, sell and/or serve is safe for the consumer to eat, and this is particularly true when providing food products to people with food allergies or intolerance.
This online Food Allergen Awareness course will teach learners more about the foods that commonly trigger allergic reactions and develop your understanding of the legal responsibilities of a food handler in regards to allergen labelling and declaring which allergens are present in your food products.
The course ensures that learners comply with their duties under the Food Labelling Regulations 1996 and the European Provision of Food Information to Consumers Regulation 2011, which require all food handlers to have knowledge of allergens and be able to provide allergen information for all food sold.
Developed by food safety professionals
Ensures compliance with the European Provision of Food Information to Consumers Regulation 2011
Accredited by CPD
Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
Full audio voiceover
Approximate duration: 1-2 hours
On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Who Should Take This Course?
This course is suitable for food handlers in all types of food establishments, including catering, retail and manufacturing businesses. The course is appropriate for workers of all levels including managers and supervisors, full-time staff and part-time staff.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working
day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming
to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
Screenshots (click to view)
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
Interactive Demo »
The course is divided into four accessible, interactive modules and includes an
assessment at the end:
- Introduction to Allergens – key definitions (food allergy, food intolerance, anaphylaxis), coeliac disease, gluten, the 14 named allergens, hidden allergens, symptoms of allergic reactions, symptoms of anaphylaxis and food handler responsibilities.
- Allergens and the Law – food safety law, food labelling laws, putting the law into practice, legal penalties, legal defence and common mistakes.
- Controlling Allergenic Contamination: Ingredients – hazard analysis, staff training, creating an allergen-free environment, food purchase and delivery, food storage and transportation.
- Controlling Allergenic Contamination: Hygiene – personal hygiene, hand washing video, cleaning the premises, cleaning food handling equipment, food preparation, food service and emergency situations.
Download Course Overview (PDF) »
Aims of the Course
By the end of this course learners will:
- Understand the differences between food allergies, food intolerance, anaphylaxis and coeliac disease.
- Be aware of the common symptoms of allergic reactions.
- Know the 14 named allergens that must be declared in food products.
- Have knowledge of the legal responsibilities of food handlers in regards to allergen labelling and declaration.
- Understand how to prevent allergenic contamination through attention to food deliveries and food storage.
- Understand how to prevent allergenic contamination through good hygiene practices.
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will be asked 15 multiple choice
questions with a pass mark of 80%.
The answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have
passed. If you don't pass don't worry! You can take the test as many times as you
need with no extra charge.
Other Courses You May be Interested In
All food handlers in the catering sector can satisfy their legal requirement by taking this e-learning course. The course gives learners a basic awareness of good hygiene and safety issues and meets food industry recommendations, with reference to employees preparing, cooking and handling food in catering settings.
Learn More »
The Risk Assessment course teaches candidates how to identify hazards and produce a thorough risk assessment that is appropriate to your workplace. Developed by Chartered Members of the Institute of Occupational Health & Safety (CMIOSH) with many years experience in the delivery of training solutions, the result is an accessible interactive high quality training package.
Learn More »