Food Allergen Awareness Training
10% discount on 10+ courses
20% discount on 50+ courses
It's essential that food handlers in retail and catering settings have an awareness of what food allergens are, how they can affect the safety of customers, and how they should communicate the right allergen information to those who need to know.
This online Food Allergen Awareness course will teach you how to comply with the UK's allergen laws, so you understand which foods commonly cause allergic reactions, how these should be labelled on food products under the EU Food Information for Consumers (FIC) Regulation, and how to ensure customers are provided with accurate information about the food they are purchasing.
- Developed by food safety professionals
- Ensures compliance with the EU Food Information for Consumers (FIC) Regulation
- Accredited by CPD and endorsed by the Institute of Hospitality
- Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
- Full audio voiceover
- Approximate duration: 1-2 hours
- On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Who Should Take This Course?
This course is best suited for food handlers in catering and retail settings. The course is appropriate for workers at all levels, whether they prepare, handle, sell or serve food products.
This includes, but is not limited to, staff that work in:
- Restaurants, canteens and hotels
- Cafes, coffee and sandwich shops
- Supermarkets and convenience stores
- Bakeries, butchers and delicatessens
- Food markets, stalls and food trucks
- Food buffets
- Online food retailers and other distance sellers
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming to universally accepted Continuing Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
Additionally, this course is endorsed by the Institute of Hospitality as providing independently-evaluated, quality content that teaches good practice standards.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
This certificate does not have an expiry date. However, based on industry best practice guidelines, the recommended renewal period for this training is 3 years. We will print this recommended renewal date on your certificate.
Screenshots (click to view)
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
|1||Introduction to Food Allergens, Allergies and Anaphylaxis|| |
What is a food allergen, key definitions, coeliac disease, symptoms of an allergic reaction and anaphylaxis, food handler responsibilities, the 14 named food allergens, hidden allergens and case studies.
|2||Food Allergen Law and the Food Labelling Regulations|| |
General food safety legislation, the Food Information for Consumers (FIC) Regulation, food labelling regulations, prepacked foods, foods prepacked for direct sale (PPDS), Natasha's Law, loose foods, distance selling (takeaways), putting the law into practice, staff training, law enforcement and case studies.
|3||Preventing Allergenic Cross-Contamination|| |
HACCP, allergen policy, food deliveries and transportation, food storage, food preparation, food service, hand washing, cleaning the workplace and emergency situations.
Download Course Overview (PDF)
Aims of the Course
By the end of this course learners will:
- Understand the differences between food allergy, food intolerance, anaphylaxis and coeliac disease.
- Be aware of the common symptoms of allergic reactions and anaphylaxis.
- Know the 14 named food allergens that must be declared if they are used as an ingredient in any of the food products sold and served.
- Have an awareness of the legal responsibilities of food handlers in regards to allergen labelling and declaration.
- Know how to respond to a customer query about the allergen content of a food.
- Understand how to prevent allergenic cross-contamination through good hygiene procedures and proper food storage, preparation and handling practices.
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will be asked 20 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 90%. The answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have passed. If you don't pass don't worry! You can take the test as many times as you need with no extra charge.
Other Courses You May Be Interested In
This Level 2 Food Hygiene and Safety for Catering course helps learners to understand the basics of food hygiene so that they can work safely, comply with the law, minimise contamination and ensure the food they handle is safe for consumers to eat.
The Level 3 Supervising Food Safety Course is designed for supervisors and food managers who require a broader understanding of food safety control in the catering sector. The course is recommended for anyone responsible for managing people in a food business.