Level 1 Food Hygiene & Safety Certificate Online
As someone who works in an environment that deals with food, it is essential that you understand the basic principles of food hygiene so you can help ensure any food sold by your business is safe for consumers to eat.
This Level 1 Food Hygiene and Safety course has been designed to educate those who don’t work directly with preparing or handling food, but work in an environment where food is handled elsewhere or who only work with low-risk foods. The course familiarises the learner with basic food hygiene practices so they are able to work safely near food.
Matches RSPH and CIEH Level 1 Food Safety Awareness syllabus
Meets UK and EU legal requirements for food handlers
Accredited by CPD and Approved by RoSPA
Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
Full audio voiceover
Approximate duration: 1-2 hours
On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Who Should Take This Course?
This Level 1 Food Hygiene and Safety course is designed for workers who are not directly involved with the preparation or handling of high-risk foods but work in an environment where food is present or handled elsewhere. This also includes those who work with wrapped or pre-packaged foods. For example:
- Front of house employees.
- Checkout staff.
- Bar workers.
- Food delivery drivers (suppliers, takeaway, etc.).
- Kitchen porters.
- Warehouse staff.
If your role involves directly handling or preparing food, then you need to take Level 2 Food Hygiene and Safety (available for retail, catering, and manufacturing) in order to comply with food handlers’ legal obligations.
If you are a manager or supervisor in a food business, you will require Level 3 Food Hygiene and Safety.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working
day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming
to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
This course is also approved by RoSPA, the Royal Society for the Prevention of
Accidents, as providing quality and content-approved training.
Screenshots (click to view)
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
Interactive Demo »
The course is divided into five accessible, interactive modules and includes an assessment
at the end:
- Introduction to Food Hygiene – who is this course for?, why is food hygiene important?, food hygiene law, understanding food safety, and health issues caused by contaminants.
- Food Safety Hazards – microbiological hazards, allergenic hazards, physical hazards, and chemical hazards.
- Food Safety Controls – The conditions for bacterial growth, temperature control, controlling time, low and high risk foods, controlling microbiological hazards, allergenic contamination, controlling physical hazards, controlling chemical hazards, food deliveries, refrigeration and pests.
- Personal Hygiene – hand hygiene, hair hygiene, body hygiene and bad habits, protective clothing, and reporting illnesses.
- Cleaning Activities – why is cleaning important?, waste management, cleaning and disinfection, clean as you go, dishwashers, and scheduling cleaning.
Download Course Overview (PDF) »
Aims of the Training
By the end of this course learners will:
- Understand the importance of food hygiene and recognise the types of health issues poor food hygiene may cause.
- Understand what the law says about food hygiene and how businesses can comply.
- Be able to identify the various types of food safety hazards and know what to do to prevent them from putting food at risk.
- Be able to maintain good standards of personal hygiene and prevent food from being contaminated.
- Understand the importance of thorough cleaning and proper waste management.
- Understand how to carry out effective cleaning activities.
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will
be asked 20 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 80%. The
answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have passed.
If you don't pass don't worry! You can take the test as many times as you need with
no extra charge.
Other Courses You May be Interested In
This business writing course is designed to help people acquire better writing skills and learn how to use language to their advantage and for different business formats.
Learn More »
All food handlers in the catering sector can satisfy their legal requirement by taking this e-learning course. The course gives learners a basic awareness of good hygiene and safety issues and meets food industry recommendations, with reference to employees preparing, cooking and handling food in catering settings.
Learn More »