Level 2 Food Hygiene and Safety for Manufacturing
This Level 2 course has been designed to help anyone who prepares, cooks, packs or processes food in the manufacturing industry understand their legal responsibilities and know what constitutes best practice in regards to controlling food safety hazards, controlling temperatures, food storage, food preparation, personal hygiene and premises cleaning.
By law, all food handlers must have an understanding of the basic principles of food hygiene and know how to work safely so as to protect the food they manufacture from contamination.
The course provides learners with up-to-date food hygiene information using a range of written text, interactive exercises and video content to ensure learners thoroughly comprehend their food safety responsibilities.
Matches RSPH and CIEH level 2 syllabus
Matches REHIS elementary food hygiene syllabus
Meets UK and EU legal requirements for food handlers
Accredited by CPD and Approved by RoSPA
Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
Full audio voiceover
Approximate duration: 2 hours
On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Who Should Take This Course?
The European Union Regulation (EC) No 852/2004 on the hygiene of foodstuffs requires all food handlers to be appropriately trained in how to carry out their roles safely.
This Level 2 Food Hygiene and Safety for Manufacturing course ensures that you comply with this legal responsibility by providing learners with a thorough introduction to the correct food handling practices.
The course is suitable for food handlers of all disciplines in the food and drink manufacturing industry.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working
day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming
to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
This course is also approved by RoSPA, the Royal Society for the Prevention of
Accidents, as providing quality and content-approved training.
Environmental Health Officer Approved
This course has been audited and approved by Environmental Health Officers: the training materials have been independently
reviewed and are verified as containing the necessary knowledge to achieve the level of training specified.
Screenshots (click to view)
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
Interactive Demo »
The course is divided into 8 accessible, interactive modules and includes an assessment at the end:
- Food Safety Legislation – food handlers and the law, key terms, European and UK regulations, food handler training, prosecution, HACCP, enforcement of food safety law, legal notices and due diligence.
- Microbiological Hazards – the top 10 causes of food poisoning, food poisoning in the UK, symptoms of food poisoning, preventing food poisoning outbreaks, controlling temperature and time, low and high risk foods, cross contamination, common food poisoning bacteria, food spoilage and preventing microbiological contamination.
- Physical, Chemical and Allergenic Hazards – types of physical contamination and controlling physical contamination, chemical hazards and controlling chemical contamination, allergenic contamination and controlling allergens, food intolerances, anaphylactic shock and allergen law.
- Food Storage – choosing a supplier, food distribution and deliveries, food labelling and storage, use by and best before dates, refrigeration and temperatures, freezing and defrosting and stock rotation.
- Food Preparation and Processing – thawing frozen food, cooking and reheating, taking food temperatures, how to take a food temperature, cooling food, cook-chill and cook-freeze, high temperature preservation, other preservation methods, storing presevered foods and rules of safe preparation.
- Personal Hygiene – food handler responsibilities, hand hygiene, hand washing procedures, protective gloves, bad habits, illness, hair, jewellery and smoking and protective clothing.
- Food Premises Design and Cleaning Schedules – principles of design, waste management, cleaning and disinfection, cleaning schedules, safe cleaning, six stages of cleaning, pests and preventing pests.
- Further Information - how to register a food business, contacting the local authority, legal documents and FSA publications.
Download Course Overview (PDF) »
Aims of the Training
By the end of the course learners will be able to demonstrate that they can:
- Identify food hygiene hazards.
- Describe safe food practice.
- Apply controls to achieve high standards of food hygiene.
- Explain the principles of food safety management systems.
- Work in a way that is ethical for the consumer and fulfills your legal obligations as a food handler.
Once you have completed all of the online training material you will be able to take the online assessment. The assessment
consists of 30 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 70%. The answers are marked instantly so you will know whether
you have passed as soon as you finish.
If you don’t pass the assessment you can review the course material and take the assessment again as many times as necessary
at no extra charge.
Other Courses You May be Interested In
The Level 3 Supervising Food Safety Course is designed for supervisors and food managers who require a broader understanding of food safety control in the manufacturing sector. The course is recommended for anyone responsible for managing people in a food business.
Learn More »
Manual Handling Awareness gives guidance on assessing the risks of manual handling in the workplace and provides practical advice on the safe lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling of loads.
Learn More »