Level 2 Food Hygiene and Safety for Retail
This Level 2 course has been designed to help anyone who handles, prepares or serves food in the retail industry understand their legal responsibilities and know what constitutes best practice in regards to controlling food safety hazards, controlling temperatures, food storage, food preparation, personal hygiene and premises cleaning.
By law, all food handlers must have an understanding of the basic principles of food hygiene and know how to work safely so as to protect the food they sell from contamination.
The course provides learners with up-to-date food hygiene information using a range of written text, interactive exercises and video content to ensure learners thoroughly comprehend their food safety responsibilities.
- Matches RSPH and CIEH level 2 syllabus
- Matches REHIS elementary food hygiene syllabus
- Meets UK and EU legal requirements for food handlers
- Accredited by CPD and Approved by RoSPA
- Endorsed by the Institute of Hospitality
- Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
- Full audio voiceover
- Approximate duration: 2 hours
- On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Who Should Take This Course?
The European Union Regulation (EC) No 852/2004 on the hygiene of foodstuffs requires all food handlers to be appropriately trained in how to carry out their roles safely.
This Level 2 Food Hygiene and Safety for Retail course ensures that you comply with this legal responsibility by providing learners with a thorough introduction to the correct food handling practices.
The course is suitable for food handlers of all disciplines in the food retail sector, including market stalls, farm shops, grocery stores, supermarkets, butchers, bakers, fishmongers, wholesalers and delicatessens.
If you are a manager or supervisor in any of the above sectors, then our Level 3 Food Hygiene For Retail Course is more suitable for you.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working
day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming
to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
This course is also approved by RoSPA, the Royal Society for the Prevention of
Accidents, as providing quality and content-approved training.
Additionally, this course is endorsed by the Institute of Hospitality as providing independently-evaluated, quality content that teaches good practice standards.
This certificate does not have an expiry date. However, based on industry best practice guidelines, the recommended renewal period for this training is 3 years. We will print this recommended renewal date on your certificate.
Environmental Health Officer Approved
This course has been audited and approved by Environmental Health Officers: the training materials have been independently
reviewed and are verified as containing the necessary knowledge to achieve the level of training specified.
Screenshots (click to view)
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
Interactive Demo »
The course is divided into 8 accessible, interactive modules and includes an assessment at the end:
Download Course Overview (PDF) »
- Food Safety Legislation – food handlers and the law, key terms, European and UK regulations, food handler training, prosecution, HACCP, enforcement of food safety law, legal notices, due diligence and the Food Hygiene Ratings Scheme.
- Microbiological Hazards – the top 10 causes of food poisoning, food poisoning in the UK, symptoms of food poisoning, preventing food poisoning outbreaks, controlling temperature and time, low and high risk foods, cross contamination, common food poisoning bacteria, food spoilage, food preservation and preventing microbiological contamination.
- Physical, Chemical and Allergenic Hazards – types of physical contamination and controlling physical contamination, chemical hazards and controlling chemical contamination, allergenic contamination and controlling allergens, food intolerances, anaphylactic shock and allergen law.
- Food Storage – choosing a supplier, food distribution and deliveries, the cold chain, food labelling, use by and best before dates, refrigeration and temperatures, freezing and defrosting and stock rotation.
- Food Display and Service – measuring food temperatures, how to take a food temperature, hot colding, cold holding, rules of food service and rules of safe preparation.
- Personal Hygiene – food handler responsibilities, hand hygiene, hand washing procedures, protective gloves, bad habits, illness, hair, jewellery and smoking and protective clothing.
- Food Premises Design and Cleaning Schedules – principles of design, waste management, cleaning and disinfection, cleaning schedules, safe cleaning, six stages of cleaning, cleaning food storage areas and public areas, dishwashers, pests and preventing pests.
- Further Information – how to register a food business, contacting the local authority, Safer Food Better Business, legal documents and FSA publications.
Aims of the Training
By the end of the course learners will be able to demonstrate that they can:
- Identify food hygiene hazards.
- Describe safe food practice.
- Apply controls to achieve high standards of food hygiene.
- Explain the principles of food safety management systems.
- Work in a way that is ethical for the consumer and fulfils your legal obligations as a food handler.
Once you have completed all of the online training material you will be able to take the online assessment. The assessment
consists of 30 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 70%. The answers are marked instantly so you will know whether
you have passed as soon as you finish.
If you don’t pass the assessment you can review the course material and take the assessment again as many times as necessary
at no extra charge.
Other Courses You May be Interested In
All food handlers in the catering sector can satisfy their legal requirement by taking this e-learning course. The course gives learners a basic awareness of good hygiene and safety issues and meets food industry recommendations, with reference to employees preparing, cooking and handling food in catering settings.
Learn More »
The Level 3 Supervising Food Safety Course is designed for supervisors and food managers who require a broader understanding of food safety control in the retail sector. The course is recommended for anyone responsible for managing people in a food business.
Learn More »