10% discount on 10+ courses
20% discount on 50+ courses
Nearly half of all accidents resulting from abrasive wheels happen due to unsafe working practices and operator errors. If you work with abrasive wheels then following strict health and safety practices is paramount to protect both yourself and others from harm.
This Abrasive Wheels course will provide you with an introduction to working safely with abrasive wheels so that you can understand the risks and know which control measures are needed to prevent injury and ill-health.
- Ensures compliance with UK Health and Safety legislation
- Developed by health and safety professionals
- Accredited by CPD
- Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
- Full audio voiceover
- Approximate duration: 1-2 hours
- On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Who Should Take This Course?
This course is suitable for anyone who uses abrasive wheels in their work activities.
The course is particularly relevant for those who use bench grinders, pedestal grinders and angle grinders. Although the training doesn't cover the use of specialist grinding machines, the health and safety information throughout the course is still applicable.
This course has been written at an introductory level and no pre-requisite training is required. Experience of using abrasive wheels would be advantageous.
This certified online training is ideal for people working in positions such as, but not limited to:
- Builder / Floor Layer / Bricklayer
- Carpenter / Joiner / Fitter
- Site / Project Manager
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming to universally accepted Continuing Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
This certificate does not have an expiry date. However, based on industry best practice guidelines, the recommended renewal period for this training is 3 years. We will print this recommended renewal date on your certificate.
Screenshots (click to view)
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
|1||Introduction to Abrasive Wheels||Types of abrasive wheels, dangers of abrasive wheels, abrasive wheels and the law, manufacturers responsibilities, employer responsibilities, employee responsibilities, HSE guidance.|
|2||Risk Assessment|| |
What is a risk assessment?, who should carry out a risk assessment?, Step One: Identifying hazards, Step Two: Decide who might be harmed and how, Step Three: Evaluate the risks, Step Four: Record the findings, and Step Five: Review and update.
|3||Safe Practices for Abrasive Wheels|| |
The hierarchy of control, wheel speed, wheel handling and storage, wheel mounting, mechanical guards and work rests, safe working practices, inspections and checks and safely dressing abrasive wheels.
|4||Further Abrasive Wheel Hazards and Controls|| |
Prevention of eye and face injuries, harmful dusts, vibration control, noise reduction and control, fire risks, electrical safety, hand-held grinding and cutting-off tools, training, communication and monitoring, Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 (RIDDOR), first aid and emergency procedures.
Download Course Overview (PDF)
Aims of the Course
Upon completion of this course learners will be able to:
- Identify the main types of abrasive wheels and their equipment, and will understand the hazards and risks associated with them.
- Understand the legal requirements placed on manufacturers, employers and employees for the safe use of abrasive wheels.
- Know how to carry out a risk assessment for the safe use of abrasive wheels.
- Be aware of the control measures needed to reduce or eliminate the risks associated with abrasive wheels, including harmful dusts, vibration, noise, fire and electrical risks.
- Understand how to safely handle, store, mount, use, dress and inspect the main types of abrasive wheels.
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will be asked 20 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 80%. The answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have passed. If you don't pass don't worry! You can take the test as many times as you need with no extra charge.