Nearly half of all accidents resulting from abrasive wheels happen due to unsafe working practices and operator errors. If you work with abrasive wheels then following strict health and safety practices is paramount in order to protect both yourself and others from harm.
This Abrasive Wheels course will provide you with an introduction to working safely with abrasive wheels so that you can easily identify the hazards, understand the risks and know which control measures are needed to prevent injury and ill-health.
- Ensures compliance with UK Health and Safety legislation
- Developed by health and safety professionals
- Accredited by CPD
- Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
- Full audio voiceover
- Approximate duration: 1-2 hours
- On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Who Should Take This Course?
This course is suitable for anyone who uses abrasive wheels in their work activities.
The course is particularly relevant for those who use bench grinders, pedestal grinders and angle grinders. Although the training doesn't cover the use of specialist grinding machines, the health and safety information throughout the course is still applicable.
This course has been written at an introductory level and no pre-requisite training is required. Experience of using abrasive wheels would be advantageous.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
This certificate does not have an expiry date. However, based on industry best practice guidelines, the recommended renewal period for this training is 3 years. We will print this recommended renewal date on your certificate.
Screenshots (click to view)
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
Interactive Demo »
This course contains four accessible, interactive modules and includes an assessment at the end. These are:
Download Course Overview (PDF) »
- Introduction to Abrasive Wheels – who needs abrasive wheels training, what are abrasive wheels, dangers of abrasive wheels, wheel safety, legislation, employer responsibilities, hierarchy of control measures, and employee responsibilities.
- Risk Assessment – what is a risk assessment, identify the hazards, decide who might be harmed and how, evaluate the risks, record the findings and implement them, and review and update.
- Risk Reduction: Part One – can the task be avoided, wheel speed, wheel handling and storage, wheel mounting, wheel mounting on spindles, mechanical guards, safe working practices, inspections and checks, and dressing abrasive wheels.
- Risk Reduction: Part Two – PPE, eye protection, harmful dusts, dust extraction and PPE, vibration, noise, sparks, portable grinders, cables, training, communication, and housekeeping, and emergency procedures.
Aims of the Training Course
Upon completion of this course learners will be able to:
- Give examples of common tasks using abrasive wheels and understand the associated risks.
- Identify the factors that contribute to injury and to ill-health.
- Recognise the control measures that reduce the risk of injury and ill-health from the use of abrasive wheels.
- Understand how to correctly use abrasive wheels, including the control measures to reduce or eliminate the risk of injury and ill-health.
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will be asked 15 multiple choice questions
with a pass mark of 80%.
The answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have
passed. If you don't pass don't worry! You can take the test as many times as you
need with no extra charge.
Other Courses You May be Interested In
Manual Handling Awareness gives guidance on assessing the risks of manual handling in the workplace and provides practical advice on the safe lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling of loads.
Learn More »
An online course designed to give learners an understanding of their duties under the Work at Height Regulations 2005. It explains how to carry out work at height safely and in accordance with the regulations.
Learn More »