Child Mental Health Training
Anybody who works with children is responsible for ensuring their health, safety, and happiness. This includes both their physical and mental health.
This Child Mental Health training course provides you with the knowledge you need to fulfil this responsibility. It explains common child mental health difficulties, how to recognise them, how to respond to them, and further steps you should take. Upon completion of the training, you will be confident in supporting any child who is struggling.
- Developed by safeguarding professionals
- Accredited by CPD
- Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
- Full audio voiceover
- Approximate duration: 2-3 hours
- On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Who Should Take This Child Mental Health Course?
This course is suitable for anybody who works with, or around, children and young people. It offers an introduction to child mental health, so no pre-requisite knowledge is required.
Examples of people who will benefit from this training include:
- Teachers and headteachers.
- Teaching assistants and school support staff.
- Sports coaches.
- Activities leaders and club coaches (e.g. Brownies and Scouts leaders).
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
This certificate does not have an expiry date. However, based on industry best practice guidelines, the recommended renewal period for this training is 3 years. We will print this recommended renewal date on your certificate.
Screenshots (click to view)
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
Interactive Demo »
The course is divided into five accessible, interactive modules and includes an assessment at the end:
Download Course Overview (PDF) »
- Introduction to Child Mental Health – defining mental health and mental ill-health, potential causes, risk factors, being online, promoting positive mental health and common risks.
- Common Mental Health Problems – common mental health problems, signs and symptoms, anxiety disorder, post traumatic stress disorder, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, bipolar disorder, and conduct disorder.
- Further Common Mental Health Problems – depression, eating disorders, psychosis, schizophrenia, suicidal ideation, and self-harm.
- Help and Support – knowing when to help, talking about mental health, responding in a crisis, diagnosis, types of therapy, cognitive behavioural therapy, emotion focused therapy, mindfulness therapies, play therapy, and assisting the therapy.
- Promoting Positive Mental Health – how schools should promote positive mental health, policies and procedures, promoting positive mental health, and communicating with parents.
Aims of the Course
Upon completion of this course, you will:
- Understand the common mental health problems that children and young people face, and the impact they can cause.
- Know the common signs of mental health problems in children and understand the factors that are likely to increase the risk of a child developing a mental health problem.
- Understand the impact external factors, such as social media, can have on a child's mental health, and how to promote positive mental health in your environment.
- Develop the skills needed to broach sensitive subjects with children and young people and be aware of the role you have in supporting positive mental health.
- Know what actions to take when you consider a child to be at risk of a mental health problem.
- Understand the interventions that organisations can introduce to help improve a child's mental health, including the benefits of play therapy.
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training. You will be asked 10 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 80%. The answers are marked automatically, so you’ll know instantly whether you have passed. If you don’t pass first time, don’t worry! You can take the test as many times as you need with no extra charge.