Safer Recruitment Online Training Course
Safer recruitment practices are vital for all settings where children and young adults are present. As someone with responsibility for hiring and/or supervising new staff members,
it’s essential that you understand how to ensure these people are safe to work with children. The people that you recruit must share the same child protection attitudes and values as you do,
and this begins with a thorough safer recruitment process.
Throughout this Safer Recruitment course you’ll learn about how to create an effective applicant information pack, how to successfully interview candidates, and how to carry out pre-appointment checks
(including DBS checks) before a candidate is appointed.
- Developed by a qualified child protection professional
- Accredited by CPD
- Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
- Full audio voiceover
- Approximate duration: 2-3 hours
- On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Who Should Take This Safer Recruitment Training Course?
This course is suitable for anyone who has responsibility for hiring and/or supervising new staff members to work with children and young people. This applies whether you’re hiring full-time, part-time or voluntary workers.
Safeguarding children and following the safer recruitment process is vital for all settings where children and young people are present, including activity centres, nurseries, sports clubs, private tutors, childminders, fostering agencies and support services. This course is suitable for all settings.
If you work in an educational setting, such as a school or nursery, then you may prefer to choose the dedicated Safer Recruitment in Education course.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working
day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming
to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
This certificate does not have an expiry date. However, based on industry best practice guidelines, the recommended renewal period for this training is 3 years. We will print this recommended renewal date on your certificate.
Screenshots (click to view)
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
Interactive Demo »
The course is divided into six accessible, interactive modules and includes an
assessment at the end:
Download Course Overview (PDF) »
- Introduction to Safer Recruitment – why safer recruitment is important, children most at risk, case examples of Nigel Leat, Jeremy Forrest and Ian Huntley, raising awareness and key guidance.
- Step 1: Create the Job Description and Application Pack – preparing to recruit, common recruitment mistakes, applicant information packs: job description, person specification, safeguarding statement, self-disclosure forms, selection process outline, application forms and references, creating a successful job advert.
- Step 2: Shortlist Candidates, Contact Referees and Review Disclosures – considering applications, contacting referees, reviewing self-disclosure forms and preparing for the interview process.
- Step 3: Interview Shortlisted Candidates – before the interviews, asking questions, question styles, listening well, causes for concern and closing the interview.
- Step 4: Pre-Appointment and DBS Checks – pre-appointment checks: eligibility to work in the UK, DBS checks, qualifications, professional status and overseas checks, hiring through third parties and making a conditional offer.
- Step 5: The Induction Process and Maintaining a Safe Workplace – the induction process, code of conduct, monitoring and supervision, maintaining a safe workplace, dealing with allegations and the case example of Vanessa George.
Aims of the Safer Recruitment Training
By the end of this course, learners will:
- Understand why having strict safer recruitment practices in place is so important in regards to safeguarding children.
- Know how to put together an effective applicant information pack, including a job description and safeguarding statement.
- Know what to look for when shortlisting candidates.
- Understand how to contact referees and know what is needed from a reference.
- Know how to successfully interview candidates.
- Understand what is involved in the pre-appointment checks, including DBS checks, before a candidate can start work.
- Understand the importance of a thorough staff induction process and safeguarding children training.
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will
be asked 20 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 80%. The
answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have passed.
If you don't pass don't worry! You can take the test as many times as you need with
no extra charge.
Other Courses You May be Interested In
An online course designed to help those with a designated child protection role to understand more about their responsibilities, including implementing effective safeguarding practices in the workplace, recognising and responding to abuse, working with other services and sharing appropriate information.
Learn More »
This online course has been designed for frontline staff who play a key role in preventing radicalisation in the UK. Making it easy to understand how to show compliance with the duty and to implement it appropriately.
Learn More »