Fire Safety for Schools
By law, anyone who works in a school requires fire safety awareness training. This Fire Safety for Schools training course will help your school comply with this requirement, as it provides staff with the necessary knowledge to help them maintain fire safety measures and follow evacuation procedures. It will explain how they can minimise common fire safety risks in a school and support students and vulnerable people during a fire.
Ensures compliance with the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005, the Education (School Premises) Regulations 1999, the Fire Safety (Scotland) Regulations 2006 and the Fire Safety Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2010.
- Developed by health and safety professionals
- Accredited by CPD
- Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
- Full audio voiceover
- Approximate duration: 2-3 hours
- On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Who Should Take This Course?
This Fire Safety for Schools training course is designed for anyone who works in a school setting, such as nurseries, primary schools, and secondary schools. It is appropriate for anyone at any level in a school, whether they teach a class or not.
- School librarians.
- Lunchtime workers.
Employers are required to ensure that all new employees in their school undergo fire safety training when they first start work. They must also ensure that existing employees have their training refreshed if any new fire risks are identified by a risk assessment. This course is suitable as both an introduction to fire safety and a refresher for employees.
Those who are in charge of fire risk assessments and fire evacuation procedures require a higher level of training than this course offers. They will need to receive Fire Warden Training as well as practical training in using firefighting equipment.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
This certificate does not have an expiry date. However, based on industry best practice guidelines, the recommended renewal period for this training is 2 years. We will print this recommended renewal date on your certificate.
Screenshots (click to view)
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
Interactive Demo »
The course is divided into five accessible, interactive modules and includes an assessment at the end:
Download Course Overview (PDF) »
- Introduction to Fire Safety for Schools - why fire safety is important, fire safety law, the fire triangle, types of fire, and common fire hazards.
- Fire Safety Responsibilities - the responsible person, fire wardens, fire risk assessments, staff duties, and who enforces fire safety.
- Fire Safety Measures - housekeeping, preventing arson, storage, smoking, detection and warning systems, and fire extinguishers.
- Evacuation Procedures - evacuation strategies, escape routes and exits, signage, emergency lighting, and what to do during an evacuation.
- Fire Plans and Drills - personal emergency evacuation plans and fire drills.
Aims of the Course
By the end of this course, learners will be aware of:
- The consequences of fires occurring in schools.
- How fires can start.
- Fire safety law and what it requires of everyone.
- How to minimise fire risks through good housekeeping, safe storage, and other preventative measures.
- How their school can prevent arson.
- The legal requirements surrounding alarm and detection systems, fire extinguishers, and escape routes.
- What to do during a fire emergency.
- The importance of personal emergency evacuation plans and fire drills, as well as how they may be involved in these.
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will
be asked 20 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 90%. The
answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have passed.
If you don't pass don't worry! You can take the test as many times as you need with
no extra charge.
Other Courses You May be Interested In
An online course designed to help those with a designated child protection role to understand more about their responsibilities, including implementing effective safeguarding practices in the workplace, recognising and responding to abuse, working with other services and sharing appropriate information.
Learn More »
This COSHH training course gives employers and workers the information they need in order to comply with regulations in the workplace. It explains how to provide adequate control of employees’ exposure to harmful substances through methods of prevention and monitoring, details the control measures needed and advises on how to minimise risks.
Learn More »