Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) Training Course
Hazardous substances can affect anyone within the workplace, not just those who handle them regularly.
This COSHH training course is designed to give workers knowledge of the health risks surrounding work with hazardous substances,
including how to undertake a COSHH assessment by identifying the risks and the control measures needed, and ensure that
they understand how to work safely with hazardous substances.
Ensures compliance with UK Health and Safety legislation
Developed by Health & Safety Professionals
Matches the CIEH Level 2 Syllabus
Accredited by CPD and Approved by RoSPA
Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
Full audio voiceover
Approximate duration: 2 hours
On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Do You Comply With the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002?
Under the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) Regulations 2002, regulation 12 states that ‘every employer
who undertakes work which is liable to expose an employee to a substance hazardous to health shall provide that employee
with suitable and sufficient information, instruction and training.’
Employees also have a legal responsibility to co-operate fully with their employer in order to enable them to meet their legal obligations.
By providing effective COSHH training, employers can help to ensure that everyone in the workplace is competent to carry
out their work safely. Managers, supervisors and other members of staff should be able to recognise the hazards posed by
their work, be able to take action to reduce or eliminate the risks and understand how to follow procedures.
Who Should Take This COSHH Training Course?
This COSHH training course provides suitable training for all levels of employees who work, or may come into contact with,
hazardous substances in the workplace. All employees must have the necessary knowledge to be competent and do the job properly.
This includes, but is not limited to, people who work in professions such as:
- Catering and baking
- Beauty and hairdressing
- Vehicle repair and painting
- Offshore oil and gas
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working
day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming
to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
This course is also approved by RoSPA, the Royal Society for the Prevention of
Accidents, as providing quality and content-approved training.
Screenshots (click to view)
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
Interactive Demo »
The course is divided into six accessible, interactive modules and includes an
assessment at the end:
- Introduction to COSHH - what is a substance hazardous to health and where do they exist? Common hazardous substances,
ill-health, Health and Safety Executive statistics and benefits of COSHH.
- COSHH Legal Regulations - the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002, the CLP regulation, ACoPs and guidance notes, enforcement of the law, employer and employee responsibilities.
- Problems to Health From Hazardous Substances - common health hazards, the occupations most at risk, routes of entry,
dermatitis, asthma, what to do if you develop symptoms and RIDDOR.
- Identifying Hazardous Substances - chemical labelling, safety data sheets, flammable substances, liquids, dusts and
gases, asthma-causing substances, asbestos and lead.
- COSHH Risk Assessment and Control Measures - identifying the hazards, deciding who might be harmed and how, evaluating
the risks, substance substitution, principles of good control practice, hierarchy of control measures, work processes and
equipment, personal protective equipment, safe systems of work and the provision of first aid.
- Monitoring the Assessment and Health Surveillance - recording your findings, reviewing and updating the assessment,
monitoring the assessment, health surveillance and Workplace Exposure Limits.
Download Course Overview (PDF) »
Aims of the Training
By the end of this course learners will:
- Know how to identify hazardous substances in the workplace.
- Understand the ill-health effects that hazardous substances can cause.
- Understand COSHH legal regulations, including the responsibilities of employers and employees.
- Know what to consider for a COSHH risk assessment.
- Understand the importance of health surveillance for employees who work with hazardous substances.
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will be asked 15 multiple choice
questions with a pass mark of 80%.
The answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have
passed. If you don't pass don't worry! You can take the test as many times as you
need with no extra charge.
Other Courses You May be Interested In
Manual Handling Awareness gives guidance on assessing the risks of manual handling in the workplace and provides practical advice on the safe lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling of loads.
Learn More »
Fire Safety Awareness aims to ensure that all workers comply with fire safety requirements and are aware of their duties to eliminate or reduce the risks associated with fire in the workplace.
Learn More »