Level 3 Food Hygiene & Safety in Catering Training
This Level 3 Supervising Food Safety in Catering course is designed for managers and supervisors in the catering industry
who have responsibility for developing a food safety management (HACCP) plan in their business.
The course offers knowledge
of basic food hygiene practice and provides further detail on the controls that can be implemented to ensure that the food
handling process is as safe and hygienic as possible.
- Matches RSPH and CIEH syllabus
- Meets UK and EU legal requirements for food handlers
- Accredited by CPD and Approved by RoSPA
- Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
- Full audio voiceover
- Approximate duration: 10 hours
- On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Who Should Take This Course?
The Level 3 Supervising Food Safety Course is designed for supervisors and food
managers who require a broader understanding of food safety control in the catering
sector. The course is recommended for anyone responsible for managing people in
a food business. It is designed to provide detailed knowledge of food safety principles
and practices, through identifying potential hazards to food safety. In providing
this knowledge, supervisors and food managers will be able to develop and implement
food safety systems appropriate to their workplace.
The Level 3 Food Hygiene Course is ideal for anyone responsible for the HACCP system
in a food business. The course focuses on developing an in depth knowledge of food
safety, implementing a HACCP system and the importance of training staff. The course
will give candidates the knowledge required for putting a food safety management
system into place, whilst teaching the candidates how to communicate this knowledge
to other staff as the business expands.
Our Level 3 Food Hygiene Course is recommended for any food business that is striving
to achieve a 5* Scores on the Doors rating, the national hygiene rating system that
looks at how well a food business is managed. To achieve a 5* rating, the business
must demonstrate best practise in managing and achieving very high standards of
compliance with food safety legislation. For a good rating, the Environmental Health
Officer will be looking for managers and supervisors to be trained to Level 3 Food
For Supervisors and Managers in small businesses, taking the Level 3 Course will
help make sense of the Safer Food Better Business Pack provided by the FSA (Also
Cook Safe in Scotland / Safe Catering in Northern Ireland). The course will give
candidates the foundation as to why food safety is important.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working
day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming
to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
This course is also approved by RoSPA, the Royal Society for the Prevention of
Accidents, as providing quality and content-approved training.
Environmental Health Officer Approved
This course has been audited and approved by Environmental Health Officers: the training materials have been independently
reviewed and are verified as containing the necessary knowledge to achieve the level of training specified.
Screenshots (click to view)
Interactive Demo »
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
The content of the course matches the syllabus used by both the CIEH and the RSPH
Download Course Overview (PDF) »
- Food Legislation – legislation in food businesses, how legislation is enforced, the responsibilities of employers
and employees and the concept of due diligence.
- Microbiology - factors of bacteria multiplication, the threats of food poisoning bacteria.
- Prevention of Contamination - the four types of contamination and how to prevent food being contaminated.
- Personal Hygiene - the need for good personal hygiene in the work environment and the role of the supervisor in ensuring
good personal hygiene amongst food handlers.
- Food Safety Control - the value of good storage and the importance of date checking and stock control.
- Temperature Control - the various methods of measuring food temperatures, the correct temperatures for heating and
cooling food and the stages of cook-chill.
- Food Spoilage Control – the principles of food preservation available to prevent spoilage.
- Pest Control - the different pests, their impact on the workplace and the methods that can be taken to control them.
- Cleaning & Disinfection - the need for cleaning, the different methods of cleaning and cleaning products, managing
cleaning schedules, controlling internal
and external waste appropriately.
- The Design and Construction of Premises - the suitable considerations that have to be taken into account when siting
and constructing food premises.
- Training Staff - the legal regulations regarding training and the need for good communications and record keeping.
- Implementing Food Management Safety Systems - a detailed examination of each step of the HACCP system.
- Safer Food, Better Business - introduces Safer Food Better Business and demonstrates how managers and supervisors
can practically apply it in the workplace.
Aims of the Training
By the end of this course learners will:
- Understand the key food hygiene legislation.
- Have knowledge of the best food safety practice so as to avoid contamination.
- Understand the importance of personal hygiene measures.
- Be able to implement food safety controls in their business.
- Be able to implement a cleaning schedule so as to keep the premises hygienic.
- Understand the importance of training staff.
- Understand each stage of a HACCP food safety management system.
Once you have completed all of the online training material you will be able to
take the online assessment. The assessment consists of 60 multiple choice questions
with a pass mark of 70%. The answers are marked instantly so you will know whether
you have passed as soon as you finish.
If you don't pass the assessment you can review the course material and take the
assessment again as many times as necessary at no extra charge.
Other Courses You May be Interested In
All food handlers in the catering sector can satisfy their legal requirement by taking this e-learning course. The course gives learners a basic awareness of good hygiene and safety issues and meets food industry recommendations, with reference to employees preparing, cooking and handling food in catering settings.
Learn More »
This Level 3 Award in Health and Safety in the Workplace course aims to provide managers and supervisors with a thorough understanding of the health and safety risks and their relevant control measures in the workplace.
Learn More »