Level 2 Food Hygiene and Safety for Catering
This Level 2 course has been designed to help anyone who handles, prepares or serves food in the catering industry understand their legal responsibilities
and know what constitutes best practice in regards to controlling food safety hazards, controlling temperatures, food storage, food preparation, personal hygiene and premises cleaning.
By law, all food handlers must have an understanding of the basic principles of food hygiene and know how to work safely so as to protect the food they serve from contamination.
The course provides learners with up-to-date food hygiene information using a range of written text, interactive exercises and video content to ensure learners thoroughly comprehend their food safety responsibilities.
- Matches RSPH and CIEH syllabus
- Matches REHIS elementary food hygiene syllabus
- Meets UK and EU legal requirements for food handlers
- Accredited by CPD and Approved by RoSPA
- Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
- Full audio voiceover
- Approximate duration: 2 hours
- On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Who Should Take This Course?
The European Union Regulation (EC) No 852/2004 on the hygiene of foodstuffs requires all food handlers to be appropriately trained in how to carry out their roles safely.
This Level 2 Food Hygiene and Safety for Catering course ensures that you comply with this legal responsibility by providing learners with a thorough introduction to the correct food handling practices.
The course is suitable for food handlers in all disciplines of the catering sector, including restaurants, hotels, cafes, bars, fast-food outlets, takeaways, mobile food trucks, kitchens, hospitals, schools and colleges.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working
day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming
to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
This course is also approved by RoSPA, the Royal Society for the Prevention of
Accidents, as providing quality and content-approved training.
Environmental Health Officer Approved
This course has been audited and approved by Environmental Health Officers: the training materials have been independently
reviewed and are verified as containing the necessary knowledge to achieve the level of training specified.
Screenshots (click to view)
Interactive Demo »
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
The course is divided into 8 accessible, interactive modules and includes an assessment at the end.
Download Course Overview
- Food Safety Legislation – food handlers and the law, key terms, European and UK regulations, food handler training, prosecution, HACCP, enforcement of food safety law, legal notices, due diligence and the Food Hygiene Ratings Scheme.
- Microbiological Hazards – the top 10 causes of food poisoning, food poisoning in the UK, symptoms of food poisoning, preventing food poisoning outbreaks, controlling temperature and time, low and high risk foods, cross contamination, common food poisoning bacteria, food spoilage, food preservation and preventing microbiological contamination.
- Physical, Chemical and Allergenic Hazards – types of physical contamination and controlling physical contamination, chemical hazards and controlling chemical contamination, allergenic contamination and controlling allergens, food intolerances, anaphylactic shock and allergen law.
- Food Storage – choosing a supplier, food distribution and deliveries, food labelling and storage, use by and best before dates, refrigeration and temperatures, freezing and defrosting and stock rotation.
- Food Preparation – cooking, reheating, taking food temperatures, how to take a food temperature, hot holding, cooling food and food service.
- Personal Hygiene – food handler responsibilities, hand hygiene, hand washing procedures, protective gloves, bad habits, illness, hair, jewellery and smoking and protective clothing.
- Food Premises Design and Cleaning Schedules – food premises and the law, principles of design, waste management, cleaning and disinfection, cleaning schedules, safe cleaning, six stages of cleaning, cleaning food storage areas and chillers, dishwashers, pests and preventing pests.
- Further Information – how to register a food business, contacting the local authority, Safer Food Better Business, legal documents and FSA publications.
Aims of the Course
By the end of the course learners will be able to demonstrate that they can:
- Identify food hygiene hazards.
- Describe safe food practice.
- Apply controls to achieve high standards of food hygiene.
- Explain the principles of food safety management systems.
- Work in a way that is ethical for the consumer and fulfills your legal obligations as a food handler.
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will be asked 30 multiple choice
questions with a pass mark of 70%. The answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have passed.
If you don't pass don't worry! You can take the test as many times as you need with no extra charge..
Other Courses You May be Interested In
The Level 3 Supervising Food Safety Course is designed for supervisors and food managers who require a broader understanding of food safety control in the catering sector. The course is recommended for anyone responsible for managing people in a food business.
Learn More »
This Level 2 Health and Safety in the Workplace course aims to help learners understand their responsibilities in regards to health and safety law so that they can efficiently identify hazards, follow appropriate control measures and keep themselves and others in the workplace safe from harm.
Learn More »