Starting A Home Food Business
Discounts for bulk purchases:
10% discount on 10+ courses
20% discount on 50+ courses
This Starting a Home Food Business course explains how to successfully start your own food business from your home. It teaches you the fundamental steps you need to take in order to be compliant with the legalities and regulations associated with starting a food business.
All food handlers must understand the principles of food safety and food hygiene. This course outlines how to get your business ready, including explaining the legal requirements for a HACCP food safety system, and how to store and prepare food safely. The course also explains how to write a comprehensive business plan and conduct effective market research. It thoroughly details how to keep a track of financial records, the different pricing strategies you can implement, and how to successfully promote the business. This course contains many downloadable resources to help you achieve your goal of setting up your own food business from home. Once you have completed the course, you’ll feel confident in taking the next step and making your business a success for years to come.
- Developed by food industry experts
- Accredited by CPD and endorsed by the Institute of Hospitality
- Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
- Full audio voiceover
- Approximate duration: 3 hours
- On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Who should take this course?
This Starting a Home Food Business course is suitable for any individual who wants to start a food business from their home. It will outline the steps they need to take to be legally compliant, the importance of safe food handling practices in their kitchen, how to write their business plan and how to get their products to their customers. It will provide downloadable resources and guidance on how to set up their business in their home to be successful.
This course is supplementary to our food hygiene and safety courses and HACCP courses. This certified online training is ideal for people working in positions such as, but not limited to:
- Home baker
- Cake maker
- Chef / Cook
- Takeaway chef
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming to universally accepted Continuing Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
Additionally, this course is endorsed by the Institute of Hospitality as providing independently-evaluated, quality content that teaches good practice standards.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
This certificate does not have an expiry date
Screenshots (click to view)
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
|1||Legal Compliance|| |
Legal responsibilities, food business registration, selling on social media, registering with HMRC, sole traders, registering for self assessment, naming your business, national insurance rates, permissions.
|2||Health and Safety|| |
Getting inspection ready, HACCP, food hazards, food hygiene, risk assessments, traceability, allergen awareness.
|3||Writing a Business Plan|| |
Why is a business plan important?, writing the business plan, executive summary, business description, market research, finding your niche, selling your products, delivering your products.
|4||Finance for Your Home Business|| |
Sole traders, importance of keeping records, pricing your products, invoices, bookkeeping systems, sales and expenditures, VAT, keeping up-to-date records.
|5||Promoting your Business|| |
Ways to spread the word, customer service, reviews, packaging your product, the importance of social media, food styling, food photography.
|6||Course Resources|| |
This final module houses all of the downloadable resources featured throughout the course.
Download Course Overview (PDF)
Aims of the course
By the end of this course, you will understand:
- The steps to take for registering your food business, and be legally compliant.
- How to make your business and premises ready for a food hygiene inspection.
- The importance of completing key steps such as carrying out a risk assessment on your premises, creating your HACCP documentation and undertaking food hygiene training.
- What the contents of each section of your business plan should cover, including the executive summary, business description, marketing plan, and financial plan.
- How to carry out market research to learn about current trends and developments in your industry, assess your competitors, and learn about your target audience.
- How to price your products and keep a track of your sales, expenditure and profit margins.
- How to identify the best marketing strategies to effectively sell your products and/or services and build your brand.
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will be asked 10 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 80%. The answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have passed. If you don't pass don't worry! You can take the test as many times as you need with no extra charge.