What is a Designated Safeguarding Officer?
What does a Safeguarding Officer do?
A Designated Safeguarding Officer or Lead is the person who has responsibility for ensuring a company’s safeguarding policy is adhered to. The role isn’t essential but, if you work in a place with children or vulnerable adults, it is a good idea to have an officer position to ensure that your safeguarding efforts are as efficient and effective as possible.
Please note: Safeguarding children is everyone’s responsibility, regardless of whether you have a Designated Safeguarding Officer or not.
Responsibilities of a Designated Safeguarding Officer
Designated Safeguarding Officers have a number of responsibilities, including:
- Drawing up and enforcing the company’s safeguarding policy.
- Being alert to and recognising welfare issues, being sure to challenge poor practice.
- Sharing appropriate information with relevant people.
- Checking the List of Children to see who is subject to a Child Protection Plan.
- Gathering any other relevant information and evidence.
- Consulting local safeguarding children board procedures for additional information and guidance if needed.
- Making referrals to social services when appropriate.
- Continue working with the family, sharing information and contributing to plans if the concern is investigated.
- Ensuring that all staff having contact with children, vulnerable adults and/or their families have received appropriate training on safeguarding issues.
- Being the first point-of-call for all staff who have safeguarding concerns.
This is not an exhaustive list but covers the main responsibilities that may be included in a role description.
The Safeguarding Officer position can be offered to anyone within your organisation; no pre-requisite qualifications are needed.
A good understanding of safeguarding guidance and procedures is beneficial to the role.
What to Read Next:
- Regulatory Requirements for Designated Safeguarding Officers in Schools
- Child Protection Body Map Template
- Designated Safeguarding Officer Quiz
- Designated Safeguarding Officer Training
Subscribe for the latest Hub updates! Tell us what you're interested in hearing about: