Parental Substance Misuse & Child Protection Online Training Course
This online Parental Substance Misuse and Child Protection course is designed to help people who work with children understand the impact that parental substance misuse can have on both children and their families.
Substance misuse is a type of hidden harm that affects families all over the UK, and it can be a serious child protection issue as it often goes unnoticed.
This course will provide you with the knowledge needed to understand parental substance misuse, recognise the warning signs that suggest it may be having an impact on a child’s life and know what to do with any safeguarding concerns you may have.
- Developed by a qualified child protection professional
- Accredited by CPD
- Fully online course and assessment with no time limits
- Full audio voiceover
- Approximate duration: 1 hours
- On completion, certificate is posted the next working day
Who Should Take This Course?
This Parental Substance Misuse and Child Protection course is suitable for anyone who works with children and/or their families, including full and part-time workers, students, volunteers and managers. Everyone who works with children has safeguarding responsibilities and is required to take appropriate training to ensure their knowledge is up-to-date and relevant to their role.
It’s recommended that you take the Introduction to Safeguarding Children Training course alongside this one to ensure you have a comprehensive knowledge of safeguarding children.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent a quality assured certificate through the post the next working
day. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
All of our courses are accredited by the CPD Certification Service as conforming
to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.
Screenshots (click to view)
If you wish to try this course then register for a demo by clicking the 'interactive demo' button. You will be given the option to purchase and continue with your course at the end of your demo!
Interactive Demo »
The course is divided into three accessible, interactive modules and includes an
assessment at the end:
Download Course Overview (PDF) »
- Introduction to Substance Misuse and Safeguarding – what is a substance, what is substance misuse, parental substance misuse statistics, illegal and legal substances, legal highs, depressants and alcohol, stimulants and hallucinogens, risks and consequences and safeguarding.
- How Parental Substance Misuse Affects Children – substance misuse and parenting capacity, case studies, substance misuse and the child’s health and environment, the impact on a child’s development, substance misuse from a child’s perspective and the impact on unborn children.
- Identifying and Responding to Concerns – considering the risk, case studies, factors that increase and reduce the risk, assessing the impact of substance misuse, when is substance misuse a safeguarding issue, responding to your concerns, working with families and further resources.
Aims of the Course
By the end of this course, learners will:
- Have an understanding of the different types of substances that people may use and how these affect health, lifestyle and parenting capacity.
- Have an awareness of how parental substance misuse impacts on a child's home environment, health and development.
- Know how substance misuse affects unborn children.
- Know how to consider the level of risk to a child and understand when substance misuse becomes a safeguarding concern.
- Understand the best practice for responding to child protection concerns and understand the importance of working with the family to reduce the risks.
The online assessment is taken on completion of the training material. You will
be asked 10 multiple choice questions with a pass mark of 80%. The
answers are marked automatically so you will instantly know whether you have passed.
If you don't pass don't worry! You can take the test as many times as you need with
no extra charge.
Other Courses You May be Interested In
This advanced safeguarding children course is designed to help managers develop the best practice through effective management skills and understanding of roles within the child protection system.
Learn More »
This Domestic Violence and Abuse training course aims to raise awareness of the reasons behind, and impact of, DVA on vitcims and their families and highlights best practice in responding to concerns.
Learn More »