Safeguarding Training Bands (Levels) Explained: What’s the Difference?

April 25, 2016
Clock Icon 1 min read

Safeguarding Levels Explained

Essentially, companies who offer safeguarding training decide whether they call it Level One, Introduction or Induction training, based on their discretion. There is no official title, so it’s all down to personal preference. However, it’s important to understand what sort of training each of these refer to, so you can choose the correct one for your safeguarding duties.

Level One: Introduction or Induction

In general, a ‘Level One,’ ‘Introduction’ or ‘Induction’ to safeguarding training course should cover how to recognise the signs of abuse, respond to a disclosure, report your concerns, and record information.

Level Two: Advanced Safeguarding

A ‘Level Two’ or ‘Advanced Safeguarding’ course covers all of the above and goes into more detail about safeguarding procedures, scenarios, and what happens after a referral. ‘Advanced’ or ‘Level Two’ safeguarding training will have more material than Level One, Introduction, or Induction, as it is designed for those who have day to day or frequent contact with children or vulnerable people.

Level Three: Designated Safeguarding Officer

Level Three is often used to refer to the training of a Designated Safeguarding Officer or Lead. These courses should offer information on Designated Safeguarding Officer’s specific responsibilities.

Teacher looking after children in classroom

You can find out more in our guide: What is a Designated Safeguarding Officer?

Further Resources:

Like This Article?
Share it on social.